Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Main Break question
Author: mik2 (WI)

Water main break down the street today. When the water came back I flushed out my plumbing from an outside hosebib. There was a crazy amount of air and sediment coming out. At times there was just air coming thru the line for about 3 minutes. Then off and on violently with sediment until it finally ran clear.

The main shutoff is in the street about 150' away from my meter. ANd the break was about a block away.

Did I just flush out from the shutoff 150' away to my home or did I just flush the entire system for all my neighbors?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water Main Break question
Author: packy (MA)

i'll answer your question like this.

twice a year in my little town they flush the watermains on the street. the amount of rusty water that comes into the houses is quite a bit.
I always wait as long as I can before using the water.
I hope your neighbors think kind thoughts about you for doing them a favor.BTW, you were wise to send the rusty water out the hose faucet.

Author: mik2 (WI)

I was afraid you were going to say that. So basically I fouled up my softener and water heater in the process.

I was running water in the house prior to going outside but did not see the air and sediment from the fixtures that I saw outside when I opened the hosebid full blast.

The outside hosebibs are not softened, does that mean when I was doing the serious flushing outside, water wasnt flowing thru my softener or heater?

Author: hj (AZ)

Yes, it was NOT flowing through your softener. As a practical matter, the main is probably about 6" i.d. and you water line is 1" i.d. That means the main is about 36 times bigger than your pipe, so your flushing did not do much to clear it.

Author: srloren (CA)

You can change out your hose bib to a nipple and Ball valve for a much better flush, IMHO

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.