Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Crack in Cast Iron Pipe.
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

This crack, in a 4 inch stack, has been slowly growing (an inch a year). Can anything be done to halt its progress or does that section of pipe have to be cut out and replaced?

Re: Crack in Cast Iron Pipe.
Author: sum (FL)

I think the rusting will continue to spread along the crack line, and as the rust spreads, so does the crack.

It may be worth a try to use an angle grinder to cut a sliver slightly wider and longer than the crack, in the hope of getting rid of all the rusted, then apply a rust inhibitor around the edge of that sliver, then fill the sliver with epoxy. That may have a chance, I think.

Author: hj (AZ)

To stop the crack, drill a small hole at the end of it. I assume this a vent portion of the cast iron stack. If so most epoxy pastes will close the crack to eliminate odors.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

It looks like it's in the basement so more than likely not a vent section. I would combine the above two posts: First drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it as hj says, then widen it into a V and epoxy it as sum says. This will buy you some time, especially if it's not leaking now.

Had a neighbor years ago with a piece of cast iron on a horizontal run in the basement....the pipe rusted so the TOP of it was like swiss cheese. Went unnoticed for years until the cesspool filled up, then every time you flushed the toilet the pipe would spray like a lawn sprinkler!

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

That type of crack typically occurs on a section that is very humid, but not wet like a drain, although it can happen there. But if it were a drain, it would leak every time water flowed down the pipe.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

That is a drain for upstairs but the upstairs has been unoccupied for a year, so no water has flowed down that pipe for a year except for rain water. That stack goes straight up, unreduced, through the roof.

Does what hj stated imply that the crack might have progressed slower if that pipe had water flowing down it?

I have replaced horizontal sections of drain pipe where the leaks were at the top of the pipe. The bottom of the pipe which had water flowing through it did not corrode through.

I will follow hj's advice and drill holes at both ends. I will also apply epoxy.

Edited 1 times.

The crack at the bottom is being constrained by the lead joint.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.