Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cast Iron for noise suppression
Author: Mac D (VA)

I'm doing new construction, and I want to use cast iron for just the vertical portion of drain pipe that passes through the wall in occupied space so that I don't have to listen to poop rumbling down the wall. My plumber is concerned that there's no reliable way to make the transition between PVC and Cast iron. I know this is a common practice. What educational resources can I point my plumber to so that he understands how to make the transition correctly and can be comfortable doing it?

Re: Cast Iron for noise suppression
Author: Paul48 (CT)

[www.charlottepipe.com]

Author: packy (MA)

quote. "My plumber is concerned that there's no reliable way to make the transition between PVC and Cast iron".

well, lead and oakum joints have been a reliable way of joining pipes together for at least a century. many of them are still in existence today and show no signs of failure.

Doesn't molten lead damage PVC?

Thanks. That might be just what I need to show my plumber I'm not crazy.

Author: NP16 (OR)

I would use a 3" shielded coupling (3" CI x 3" Pl).

the OD on the two pipes are slightly different so the manufacturer of these couplings has compensated for that.
the gasket is a bit thicker on the cast iron side. It's labeled CI and you can also feel the difference.

Author: steve_g (CA)

NP16 may be referring to transition couplings something like this. Perfectly acceptable to transitions from cast to plastic, at least where I work. Wouldn't hurt to verify with your inspector.

[missionrubber.com]

Author: Dunbar (KY)

Lead and oakum with pvc spigot, best for the cast iron application. Not done much in my area. Cast iron, the better quality like used in schools and churches are still installed, still working error free to this day with no need for replacement.

- - - - - -

Everything in Plumbing can be repaired or replaced.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.