Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Brand new house unfinished basement plumbing horror. Need help
Author: Jdmnt500 (GA)

I just bought a brand new house about 7 months ago with an unfinished basement. The basement came with the roughing already done for the bathroom, and it’s already connected to an ejector pit.

I pulled a homeowners wto finishing the basement and decided to start with the plumbing.

I hired a couple licensed plumbing companies to come and give me an estimate.

The first thing they told me is that the roughing is not to code and they can’t believe it even passed inspection. The toilet drain is 18” away from the wall and the vanity drain is 6” outside the wall and not in the wall where it should be. Also they showed me that the main sewer line that goes out the house (in the basement) has a lot of stress on it from the house already settling and it’s gonna break if the house settles any more (which it will).

The plumbers told me that if the install the toilet it’s gonna sit 6” from the wall and it won’t pass inspection. They also told me that the vanity drain will be sticking up thru the floor between the toilet and the tub, then they will have to route it back thru the wall then over to where it needs to go. So I called my home builders warranty company and told them they need to fix their mess up. They sent a plumber to look at it and the plumber (who works for them) said it looks normal for the unfinished basements he has seen this builder do. I asked if it’s to code. He told me it’s up to the homeowner to make it be up to code. I called back the warranty company and told them this is unacceptable.

They tried to tell me that it’s up to me to make it up to code. I said they shoulda made it up to code initially. They said they gonna send their warranty manager to see the problem I have at the hose next week. I included the pics on this post. Also look at the waste line how it’s bent from the house selltling on it.

Can someone tell me if this makes any sense? Aren’t the builders suppose to make sure the roughing that they put down be up to plumbing code?

My plumber told me I can add a 6” wall to accommodate the mess up that the builder did but I’ll lose 6” of space in the bathroom and it’s gonna cost me to fix their mess. Any help will do. .

Edited 1 times.

Re: Brand new house unfinished basement plumbing horror. Need help
Author: packy (MA)

the rough under slab plumbing is inspected before the slab is poured so the inspector has no idea where any finish walls will be.
chances are that on any subsequent inspections (rough and finish) the inspector never gave a second thought about the under slab pipe locations.
more serious is the sewer penetration the foundation. my code says plastic pipe must be sleeved to compensate for settling.

Re: Brand new house unfinished basement plumbing horror. Need help
Author: hj (AZ)

I do not see a photo. The "code" applies to HOW the pipes are installed, NOT "where". IF they are installed correctly, it is possible to locate the walls to fit them.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.