Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 SUMP PUMP HACK JOB???
Author: kmarsh99 (IN)

I recently purchased a house and now the finished basement is flooding. We had a plumber come out and tell us the basement has no previous waterproofing and there is no trench leading to the sump pump. There are however 5 clear hoses leading out from the concrete wall into the sump pump. He says he's never seen anything like it. His best guess is these hoses were working to drain the ground water into the well up until this point but now he thinks they might be clogged. He's not sure how to unclog them because he's never seen a system like this.
Is this just something our plumber has not seen or is this something that is not done? I have a picture but I'm not sure how to post it here. HELP!

Re: SUMP PUMP HACK JOB???
Author: packy (MA)

no home inspection before buying ?
anyway, post a picture since anything is possible.
directions are right above your post.

Yes home inspection is where I am pulling this picture from - standby! Thanks!

[imgur.com]

This link should take you to the pic - let me know if it doesn't work smiling smiley

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

hack job for sure

now you get to dig 'er up (again)

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Is that a concrete block wall (“cinderblock”) or solid poured concrete wall?

Almost looks like someone is draining the cells inside a block wall or something. Either way it’s too high, you need to get below the “cove joint” (wall/floor) and drain water from beneath the floor into the sump pit.

I think it is poured concrete. disappointed

Author: packy (MA)

my son's house has a terrible water problem. he has 3 sump pumps with battery backup.
he had a contractor come in, break up the cement floor for about 8 to 10 inches at the foundation. dig down about 18 inches and lay 4 inch perforated plastic pipe the whole perimeter of the basement. they led the water into the basins where it gets pumped outdoors.

very messy and expensive job it solved the problem.
in any case you won't be able to address this until the water table recedes.

frowning

you now know why the house was for sale

frowning

Author: Palm329 (VA)

The interesting thing is those clear hoses are too high up to be connected to the foundation (footer) drains. That’s what that bigger trench to the left of the pit is probably for.

Do you have 5 window wells perhaps they might be routed to underground outside? They might be bringing window well water into the sump?

The bigger trench to the left you can see water pouring into it, like a steady stream when it rains, the water however goes outside the plastic tub in the well - missing the well completely with the sump pump in it. WHY??

Also we have no window wells.

because the installer(s) were @#$%&

D'OH

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.