Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tying the lav into the toilet
Author: LI Guy (IN)

Finally redoing the 1/2 bath, just a sink and toilet. The toilet waste goes straight down about 18" before it turns to head toward the main. This bath is on the main floor and in an addition, so it doesn't tie into the main stack serving the 2 upstairs baths.

Sink is vented by an AAV, and I plan on tying the sink drain into the toilet with a 3x3x1-1/2 wye. Question is should the wye be on the vertical section of the toilet drain directly under the toilet, or should I tie into the horizontal section after it turns? Does it make a difference?

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Re: Tying the lav into the toilet
Author: packy (MA)

it makes no difference.
if on the vertical use a sanitary tee.
I would use 2 inch pipe because you are actually wet venting the toilet thru the lav drain.
to be clear. 3 x 3 x 2 san tee in the vertical toilet drain.
put a 2 inch cleanout tee in the lav drain.

Got it, thanks. Could I use a wye to tie into the vertical or it has to be a san tee?

- - - - - - -

Author: packy (MA)

only fitting that would be prohibited on the vertical would be a straight tee. (no sweep to the branch).
I only suggest a san tee because it is cheaper than a "Y" and street 45.
but, if you are really " John Beresford Tipton ", use what ever you want. hahaha..

Author: plbg trainy (NJ)

Boy! Packy I haven't heard that name for a long time.

OK, had to Google that name....I've heard of the show but it went off the air the year I was born....

Anyway I already bought the wye, but I can take it back and get a san tee...

- - - - - - -

Author: bernabeu (SC)

deleted

duh

brain-freeze

duh

(thanx for the pick-up, Sum)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

It doesn't sound like a trap arm tie in though. From his description I assume his trap arm is higher say 12", 14" off the floor so I assume this is after the tie in the drain/vent runs vertically down to below the floor and where it has to tie into the big drains from the toilet, where he has a choice of tying into the vertical section of the toilet before it goes horizontal or tie it in further downstream into the horizontal section.

Personally I would tie it in at the horizontal section further downstream with a WYE as he is wet venting the toilet via his AAV at the sink. In addition if he ever needs another fixture like a shower or bidet he can tie into the 2" if necessary.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.