Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Valve/Cartridge Identification
Author: BlueCalcite (OH)

Our shower went from working perfectly to suddenly having virtually no cold water (all other fixtures in the house are normal). It goes from barely a trickle of cold when first turned on to full-blast hot when turned further. Turn it back to cold (toward off) and it goes back to a trickle. From my online researching, I assume there's a cartridge in there that needs replaced. I've removed as many parts as I could get to come off easily in hopes that it would be enough for me to at least identify a manufacturer so that I could go buy the required cartridge and perhaps extraction tool. However, what I'm seeing differs from all the videos I've watched on YouTube, and I've yet to notice any sort of identification other than the numbers stamped on the back of the valve, which haven't turned up anything conclusive on Google. Are these photos enough for anybody to identify what I need? What are my next steps to getting this taken apart? I've not uncovered any sort of retention clip, so I assume I have some more unassembly to do first.

Re: Shower Valve/Cartridge Identification

I didn't notice at first, but the camera flash made it pretty clear I needed to put a wrench on that collar. It twisted off easily leaving me access to the cartridge stamped 507902 on its bottom side. I easily pulled out the front half but will have to fight getting the rest of it out. It looks like this is a part I'm going to have to order, so I'll have a couple days to work on it while waiting for the new one.

Author: packy (MA)

good job !!!
while the cartridge is out, turn on the integral stops to blow out any possible debris.

Author: hj (AZ)

The first thing that comes to mind is Danze.

Author: srloren (CA)

Be sure when you have a helper turn on the main valve and you open the stops to flush that you have a towel ready to capture any debris and/or filter screens so uou can replace them after you clean them.

srloren, I assumed that he knew the valve had integral stops .

BlueCalcite, in case you didn't know, those screwdriver slotted things behind the tub wall are integral stops. (shutoffs).
use those to isolate the shower valve and still have water thru the house.

Yes, I discovered those shutoffs. That's where I've shut the water off, which if obviously a life-saver for a multi-day project like this over having to shut it off to the entire house. I actually got the remainder of the cartridge out this afternoon much easier than I thought. It was just a matter of burying my face into the side of the wall while I used my left hand to brace the pipes from behind and my right hand to wiggle the heck out of it with the vise grips. My arms were long enough with about a micron to spare. The new part is ordered, but it's going to be the better part of a week. So I want to open those shutoffs one at a time to flush out any debris? I assume that I'll have pretty good control over the flow if I just turn those screws slow enough. Are the screens similar to those on washing machine inlets? Where are they located, and how do I replace them if they come flying out?

Edited 1 times.

there are no screens inside there.
a company would have to be pretty sadistic to install filter screens in a location that required complete dis-assembly to access them.
so just put a towel into the hole so the water won't go behind the tub wall, pull the curtain and let the water go.

Author: srloren (CA)

Sadistic would be a fair description for some of these Manufacturers.

I didn't think I'd be back here after just two years, but I just had to replace this cartridge again. Is that a normal lifespan? Are some of these designs just junk, or did I get a lemon?

Anyway, the $50 is already spent, and I have a different problem now. The threads on the cheap plastic cover piece (what's the proper name?) are trashed and it won't catch.

Is this a unique part to this valve/cartridge assembly? If so, I haven't had any luck finding it. Any ideas?

Edited 2 times.

Author: William Crouse (CA)

What is the manufacture of this valve,

This is what I have and there is nothing on the valve or on the web about which one this is,

Thanks in advance for any help

Bill

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.