Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen faucet pull out spray broken
Author: sum (FL)

I have a tenant who broke off the pullout spray of the kitchen faucet.

It appears he tried to mend it with duct tape (judging from the stickyness of the handle) confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley.

I tried to back out the part of the thread that's broken off but not having much luck. If I can back it out is this an easy part to replace? Or do I need to replace the entire hose? It seems the other end of this hose is crimped to the tubing from the bottom of the faucet.

Forget about fixing it and get a new faucet?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Kitchen faucet pull out spray broken
Author: vic (CA)

"Forget about fixing it and get a new faucet"

IF it was me in this case, a rental, etc I would install a new faucet and one without a sprayer.

Vic, I am going to replace it. But I have to put one in with a sprayer because the current one has a pull out sprayer. I think the tenant will find it unfair if I put in a faucet with lesser features. Now once they move out I can switch it out because the new tenant will know that going in. I sometimes remove icemaker units and disposer during a turn over because they tend to cause problems.

Author: steve (CA)

Sum, is the chrome nut metal or plastic? The threads aren't used for sealing, so if they get a little nicked up, no big deal as long as a new head will screw into it. Nothing to lose trying get the old stub out.

Author: packy (MA)

sum, it should be a simple fix. see below

Author: vic (CA)

Sum, I understand and highly respect your wise ethical and decency as landlord decision.

Author: hj (AZ)

1-800-PFAUCET tell Pfister it is a "loop handle" with a pull out spray.

Turns out it's not a PFister but a GB which I assume it's Glacier Bay.

I end up buying a new faucet. I went with a Pfister single handle kitchen faucet.

Not much trouble in installing it, other than bent like a pretzel inside the sink cabinet with my mouth holding a flash light. I still haven't figured out how you pros can tighten the nut from below, while keeping the top faucet steady, not spinning and not shifting. Do you have a secret "third hand"?

The good news is I got it installed and connected. The bad news is as soon as I turned water back I noticed leaks coming out of the hose behind the spray head.

That end of the hose doesn't look new...I wonder if this faucet was a return?

I wonder if the plastic piece where you joint both ends of the hose together, can this piece be taken apart so all I need to do is to put in a new hose without having to disassemble the entire faucet again?

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

Yes but be careful to sqeeze the plastic where you need to. Then replace it with a new one that should be sent to you free.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

For keeping the faucet in place on the sink while tightening from under the sink, I sometimes have to enlist help from the customer to hold the faucet while I tighten the mounting nuts.

The mounting nuts with the machine screws through them has made old faucet removal and new faucet installation easier. No more fighting with corroded hex nuts trying to unscrew them.

"For keeping the faucet in place on the sink while tightening from under the sink, I sometimes have to enlist help from the customer to hold the faucet while I tighten the mounting nuts."

OK that makes me feel better because I kept thinking there is a trick I am not aware. One time I used a piece of 2X4 with a door stop against the back wall to help me hold the top steady somewhat.

I am still not sure which way is best in terms of mounting.

I have struggled with the old style larger nuts. I have a General brand basin wrench that must be 30+ years old I use to remove old mounting nuts.

I kind of like the ones with the larger mounting nuts that you thread in by hand close enough then use the machine screws to tighten further. All the hoses are inside the nut and you can use a hex wrench if you wanted to.

I am not so sure about the horse shoe shape mounting plate from the underside, where you use a smaller nut to secure. Problem with that is the hex wrench will rub against the hoses that are now crowded inside the U shaped and in the way of tightening.

corroded hex nuts are the reason they invented the oscillating tool.
I don't even fight them anymore.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

One of life's simple pleasures is installing a new sink, and mounting the faucet before you mount the sink....having a beer and for once being glad that you're not the guy who has to crawl under the sink to change the faucet.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

especially if the sink happens to be a pedestal sink.
I have installed many that were 8 inch spread that had a half dozen or more connections up high where the only access to remove would be take the sink off the wall.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.