Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Walkout floor drain???
Author: mik2 (WI)

Im in chicagoland house is 60 years old.

Theres a cast iron floor drain in front of walkout basement door. I clear it from time to time with a hose but i have no idea where the water is going.

It doesnt go to sanitary sewer since that exits higher than this drain. I thought it directly drained into my sump pit however running a hose does not cause increased flow into sump.

Would it be likely it just drains into the footing drain tile or just saturating the ground or something... adding to the water table around my foundation .... later to be seen as flow into my sump pit?

Re: Walkout floor drain???
Author: packy (MA)

you could try putting a little florescent dye down the pipe to see if it shows up anywhere.

Thanks Packy.

Observation and questions:

The sewer main exits my basement 3' higher than the floor drain in question about 40' away.

I was looking at the water in the trap while I had someone flush a toilet and I think I may have saw very slight movement/vibration in the trap water when the toilet was flushed. I did the same test a few times in a row and at other times I saw no movement whatsoever.

Is movement in the trap water proof that the sanitary sewer and this floor drain are connected?

If that is the case, because the sewer main exits higher than this floor drain, then it must connect outside the house a few feet away from the foundation and a depth of approx. 7' from ground level!

Is that unlikely?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it is possible/probable that your sewer drops after leaving the house

the drain 'probably' actually ties in

y'all need the invert elevation of the actual main sewer in the street

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Generally, how deep is the entrance to the sewer at the street?

Again if it ties in it would at almost 7' and at that point its another 75' to the street!

Edited 1 times.

4 - 20 feet deep at the street

ever see inside a 'manhole' - hear of 'catacombs' ?

Author: packy (MA)

you need to get your local public works dept involved.
they can pull a manhole cover while you pour a bunch of dye down the floor drain.
that stuff is environmentally safe but it is also very strong fluorescent dye.
follow the dye with a few gallons of water and if the floor drain is connected to the sewer, it will show up.
your city/town may have a good supply of dye that they will give you ?

Thats a good idea packy.

If the water in the trap moves when a toilet is flushed, does that confirm that they are tied together? (of course!)

yes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.