Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 backflow preventer on hot water heater
Author: sgull (AK)

I noticed this check valve or backflow preventer type fitting/valve installed on the hot water line nipple coming out of the old electric water heater I'm replacing because the tank started leaking. Is this very normal that this should be here and should I go ahead and reinstall it in the same place when I install the new water heater?

Re: backflow preventer on hot water heater
Author: packy (MA)

that is an inline strainer.
someone installed it to try keep the water exiting the tank free of debris.

nice idea but not needed..

[www.reece.com.au]

Then if not needed should I take the trouble/expense eliminating it from the line? That would entail me needing to purchase/install a longer flex line there because the one present now wouldn't be long enough to make the connection without that part there. And, if I do leave it on the line should I maybe try to go ahead and check the strainer inside, just to check it and maybe clean/remove any debris if there is any?

I'd prefer to just re-install it like it is with the replacement water heater and not bother with it unless it would be recommended that I do otherwise.

Author: packy (MA)

it is totally up to you.
you can keep it there and either clean it or just remove the insides and leave them out.
it depends on what you find inside of it for debris.

Ok sounds like I should at least try to unscrew that plug I guess and take a look inside, then go from there. Probably will turn the water supply off first. Boy what a fun project. thanks

Author: hj (AZ)

The way it is installed, anything in the strainer would probably just fall out and down the pipe back into the heater.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

i won't coment on the strainer because others have,but i just wanted to say you should replace both supply lines.those tend to get stiff .i use the stainless steel corragated ones.you should use new gaskets at the least. good luck...dan

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.