Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing freestanding tub faucet on concrete slab
Author: Ea1915 (TX)

I’m having a jacuzzi tub replaced with a freestanding tub and freestanding faucet. I have a concrete slab which has hot and cold water copper lines coming out of the slab. My Plummer originally told me there would be no issue installing the floor mounted faucet directly on the concrete slab /tile floor . After doing some preliminary work which i paid for they are now telling me that they that they cannot install the faucet on slab floor . Instead a box has to be built for the faucet to be mounted on . When I pressed them as to why it has to done this way the response was two fold.

One reason given is because of plumbing code they are not allowed to cover a water line shut off valve that is not accessible . Mind you they installed the shutoff valves when they trimmed back the water lines.

Second reason given is that they feel mounting the faucet on a box/platform is the better choice plumbing wise

I’ve never seen a freestanding faucet mounted on top of a platform/box nor can I find a picture when searching on the internet . Is this Plummer giving me accurate information or does this Plummer not want to do the hard work of breaking the slab so the faucet can be installed without a separate platform box

Re: Installing freestanding tub faucet on concrete slab
Author: packy (MA)

i/m not sure i understand your problem 100% ?
it sounds like you are correct and that the plumbers roughed in the water wrong ?
if you can provide a picture then we will all know for sure.

there are lots and lots of pictures on the internet and you are correct in that all show finished piping screwed into fittings below the floor not above it. (which is the way i do this type set-up)

Author: hj (AZ)

Water line valves are installed in walls and "covered up" many times. Some faucets do need a box, but it is usually installed IN the concrete so it is not visible. Need more information about the make and model of faucet.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Why does it even need a shut-off? Most all common in-wall shower/tub valves don't have separate shut-off valves, why would you need one here? Sounds like you need a new plumber....why would you want a wooden box....

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

It could be a plastic or metal one, if it comes with, or for, that faucet. Some exposed tub faucet risers DO have shutoffs on them.

See links below of the water lines coming out the slab and the tub filler faucet

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

Thanks

Below is a link to the tub filler make and model

[belanger-upt.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

You WILL require a box of some sort because you WILL need flexible connectors.

Personally, I would get a different faucet.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Until I saw HOW the "flexible" supplies are supposed to work, I would have said you needed female adapters at the floor level, but since the hoses are "longer" than that and cannot compress up into the faucet, I am not sure HOW you work them on a concrete floor, since you cannot make the connection below the floor, nor can you push the supply lines down under the floor.

The flexible connectors are part of the faucet as is the box, and tripod support.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

hj,

the nightmare is worse than you think

............................................................................................../\..................

Not really suitable for a concrete slab w/o building a 'raised deck' just for the faucet.

5 years from now, where can one get parts ?

IMO: the OP got taken by a pretty face frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

It is exactly like I supposed once I saw the drawings.

Author: packy (MA)

plain and simple....
the plumber put the pipes in the wrong location as well as the wrong height.
for the faucet that you chose there should be shutoffs in a remote location. there is no way to incorporate shutoffs without burying them in cement .

Unfortunately, with that faucet it appears the CONNECTIONS have to be below the floor which would make them "difficult" to connect with a concrete floor, when you cannot make the connections above the floor and then "push" them down under the floor.

Author: Mike Hahn (MD)

Remote location for sure, unless inspector has a problem with that.

Author: jamesm2 (AK)

On a concrete slab, people thought it was very difficult to install a freestanding tub with a faucet. However, the main scenario is different from what people believed.

Freestanding tubs are very easy to install on a slab, and you can do it yourself to reduce the cost.

Edited 1 times.

Author: PhilWynn (MA)

Don't forget to install the tub surround to avoid mold.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.