Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dryer Vent Issue
Author: LI Guy (IN)

Laundry used to be located in the small rear addition I am working on now along with the 1/2 bath. The dryer vent was a plastic coil duct that went from the dryer, under the floor, through the crawlspace, came back up under the vanity in the 1/2 bath, and then out the side of the house. (We have since got new appliances and moved them to the basement where the dryer is connected via smooth-walled metal duct directly to the outside.)

I could tell by the 10+ ft run under the crawl space and the low belly in the dryer vent line that it probably needed cleaning. I finally removed it as part of the project demo and oh boy what a shocker:

HUGE fire hazard! Never use plastic duct and keep your dryer duct clean!

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Re: Dryer Vent Issue
Author: packy (MA)

also never use sheet metal screws to secure the duct work. tape on the outside is all you ever do..

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Just to clarify packey’s comment: don’t use screws on a dryer vent, but definitely use them on a water heater or furnace exhaust duct. Packy you agree with that right? Risk of it getting bumped and knocked apart is too high.

Author: sum (FL)

My dryer vent doesn't look like that. Even at my rentals where tenants do multiple washes a day at a shared laundry don't look like that. Any chance you washed a pillow and it broke loose in the dryer and all of the inside was sucked into the vent?

Author: LI Guy (IN)

No we never even used this dryer line, the dryer was broken when we bought the house. This is what happens over 30+ years when you have a dryer line that is too long and with too many elbows. Air velocity isn't fast enough to vent properly, and when there is a "belly" or dip in the vent line, the lint drops out of the slow-moving airflow and settles in. This pic was at the lowest point in the line.

Sum, I am sure YOUR dryer vents are properly installed and within code in terms of total developed length based on elbows and footage, and that's why they will never look like this one. My new one for sure is.

This is why there are codes about these things, an improperly installed dryer vent line CAN get to look like this over the years. Fortunately this was an electric dryer, gas dryer might have ignited this mess.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.