Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Would half-opening valves affect water pressure
Author: alexddyang (Canada)

Hi,

I have a hydronic heating system at home with a boiler circulating hot water under my floors. Recently my plumber suggested that I only half-open the water intake valve to my hydronic boiler because fully opening the valve can sometimes cause dripping.

At first I was concerned that this might decrease the water pressure of my whole heating system, but after some online research it seems this wouldn't be the case. Nevertheless, I would like someone to confirm that my understanding is correct:

My understanding is that half-opening the intake valve would only reduce the "FLOW" when the water is moving through the valve. (For example, if I drained my system and started refilling, if would take more time to refill the system with the intake valve only half-opened)

However, when the system is properly filled and not requiring any water intake, the "STATIC PRESSURE" within the whole system would remain the same whether the valve is half or fully opened, and it is this static pressure that's measured by my pressure gauge.

In other words, half-opening the water intake valve will only slow down the process of refilling (or re-pressurizing) an under-pressured system, but once that process is done it will NOT cause the overall water pressure of the system to drop.

Is my understanding correct? Please advise.

P.S. I am assuming my pressure regulator is functioning properly. I also know the water in my hydronic system is not truly static because it is being moved by a circulator pump, but for the sake of simplicity I am assuming that the pump has no effect on the static pressure reading (i.e. the system water pressure gauge). And again for the sake of simplicity, I am also ignoring the pressure fluctuation between heating cycles.

Re: Would half-opening valves affect water pressure
Author: packy (MA)

alex, you are at least 8 or 9 times smarter than your plumber..(maybe more)
once the pressure reducing valve for your heating system is satisfied that the system has reached the pre-set pressure, it closes and you could have a 4 inch pipe with a wide open ball valve feeding the system and nothing will happen.
if the pressure reducing valve is not functioning correctly, you could be feeding the system with a 1/4 inch pipe with a ball valve 1/8 open and the pressure will still enter the heat until the relief valve blows.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

That's right.....And if you radiant floor heating is below your auto-fill valve, you only need a couple pounds of pressure on the gauge(cold).

Author: alexddyang (Canada)

Thank you for the compliment! @Packy

So as long as my pressure regulator (or pressure reducer in this case) is working properly, pressure wise it doesn’t matter how big or small the water intake opening is, correct?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

That's correct......the pressure would equalize, whether it was a pinhole or a wide open valve.

Author: hj (AZ)

If your "expert" said that, then you need a better "expert". Partially closing a valve only reduces volume and DYNAMIC pressure while water is flowing through it.

Author: Mike Hahn (MD)

Well said!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.