Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hole in bathtub
Author: NP16 (OR)

Looked at a bathtub this morning that has a hole in it: [i.postimg.cc]

This is a rental home. Can anyone recommend a good replacement tub with left side drain that is towards the lower end on cost? Would like to have it delivered to the site.

My preference would be that it has a very solid base that doesn't require much of a mortar bed to ensure a solid base with no squeaking or movement.

thanks in advance for any helpful input.

Edited 1 times.

Re: hole in bathtub
Author: sum (FL)

are you able to remove the old tub without messing up the walls? do you have to cut it in half?

Author: hj (AZ)

Impossible, but even if they do cut it in half, they cannot cut the new one to install it.

Author: packy (MA)

the only tub i know of that doesn't need a mortar base under it would be a cast iron tub and it would not be inexpensive.

Yep the perfectly good walls will need to be removed which is really unfortunate.

NOT going to be putting in cast iron tub! My back hurts enough already.

It seems that some of the newer tubs have better supports that others.
I suppose I can call the sales rep at the local supply house and see what they carry.

thanks you all.

Author: srloren (CA)

If that is a Fiber Glass tub, it can be repaired for under $200 I would think.

I'll let her know that may be an option.

I wonder how long the repair would be warrantied?

Author: steve (CA)

It's a steel tub.

Author: packy (MA)

it is not a perfect solution BUT there are companies that can drop a liner into a tub.

It is a porcelain steel piece of garbage.

That only postpones the inevitable.

Re: hole in bathtub clap

HJ: that is my thought. The extent of the damage to this tub is an unknown. Bandaid now and then possibly having to do the right thing later is a bad plan.

Steve: thanks for clarifying that it is a steel tub.

After reading the last few threads on this I'm not even going to suggest repairing this tub or dropping in a liner.
It's also on a slab so the condition of the p trap and drain in not known.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.