Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need to cap Johnson Tee
Author: bwolfgra (WA)

I posted last week with a question about my dishwasher drain. I got the old dishwasher out and found a better photo. I'm told that this is a Johnson Tee setup, which is common enough in this area (Seattle), but I can't find an exterior vent anywhere. There is stone on the other side of the wall from where this is installed so I don't know what they did.

In any case, I understand that these are usually installed with 1/2 inch pipe up to the tee, which is too small for my new quiet/efficient dishwasher. I can't check this without opening the wall, which I don't want to do.

I would like to cap this off and move to the drainpipe under the sink (or through the garbage disposal). This doesn't look difficult at all, but I'm not sure how to cap off the old drain line. I'd rather deal with this now, rather than risk wearing out the dishwasher pump.

Is there some kind of fitting or something that I could attach to the copper pipe where the current drain hose is connected? I've never sweated copper pipe, and I don't want to learn in this confined space. I'd rather not hire a plumber for this, because it seems like it should be easy, but I don't want to have to worry about water coming back out through here if something happens. I feel like that would be unlikely and that there would have to be some kind of major backup for that to occur, but I don't think I should just leave an open pipe sticking out back there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Re: Need to cap Johnson Tee
Author: steve (CA)

What material and size is that nipple the hose is clamped to? If copper, either a SharkBite type cap or rubber cap and hose clamp will seal it. The rubber cap can be found at auto supply store. If steel/brass pipe, use the rubber cap.

Author: packy (MA)

it looks to me like a compression fitting ???
if it is just get a compression cap of the same size.
probably 5/8 OD ?
remove the brass nut and take it with you to a big box store.
you are looking for one of these..
[www.homedepot.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Johnson Tee a/k/a Abortion

Should have been EXPOSED, not 'in the wall'.

example:

Simply open up the dry wall, remove ENTIRE assembly, patch and fill with foam.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

It looks like copper, but I'll know for sure when I take the drain hose off. This seems like the simplest solution where I will need to mess with what is in place the least. I don't want start opening walls and removing things. Thanks.

Author: steve (CA)

Fill what with foam?

I can't find that vent anywhere. I had a plumber take a quick look and he said that it is probably connected into the drain somewhere.

I'm going to cap what is installed. I'm not in a position to start opening my kitchen walls looking for it.

Author: hj (AZ)

I am not sure which part of the picture is the top, but in any case, I do not think it is a Johnson tee. More likely just a tee in the line with the hose clamped into it.

Author: srloren (CA)

I believe he is referring to filling the wall with foam.

That could be, especially since there is no vent from the Johnson Tee anywhere.

Author: hj (AZ)

The Johnson Tee would have to drain INTO a "P" trap, and THAT trap would be vented. A true Johnson Tee just has an antisiphon vent built into it.

Makes sense. My vertical vent pipe up through the roof is right in that area.

Author: sum (FL)

You can easily remove some of that existing foam to free up more of the pipe and fitting contraption to see what's going on.

Edited 1 times.

You were right. It just elbows down into the drain pipe. This makes it simple to cap off. Thanks Everyone for the advice.

I will just need to close up the wall. Since this will be hidden behind my dishwasher, I don’t care what it looks like and I’d rather not wait for drywall mud to dry. Are there any issues with using foam like was done before? It doesn’t appear to have hurt anything.

Author: packy (MA)

i would foam it without any worry..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.