Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Hammer
Author: rneydl (PA)

I have a continuing water hammer problem since getting a new front-loading washer a few years ago. When the washer valve closes, there is a single thump heard in the second floor shower. The washer and the shower are the last plumbing devices on their respective lines. I installed arresters on the hot and cold water shut-off valves for the washer, which helped for a few months only. The arrester manufacturer replaced them under warranty, and suggested that I add two more arresters to the back of the washer (for a total of 4 arresters). I did this, and again only had success for several months. I tested the water pressure at the washer shut-off valves recently, it was 45 psi. I have limited access to the pipes to the shower, and they do not appear to be loose. One other thing that I have noticed: when I turn ON the hot water at the vanity faucet in the same bathroom, I hear the “thump” in the shower wall. This only happens with the hot water, and only when the hot water valve is opened (as opposed to the thump created by the washer, which seems to occur when the valve closes.) No other faucets or appliances cause the noise. I have had two different plumbers here in the last year for other reasons, but neither could suggest a cause or solution other than replacing the arresters. If anyone has a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Water Hammer
Author: Dunbar (KY)

One by one, turn off isolation valves in that bathroom and see if the problem goes away.

How can you see those water lines behind the shower?

- - - - - -

Everything in Plumbing can be repaired or replaced.

Author: hj (AZ)

Since it happens in the shower when a hot water faucet is turned on, the implication is that it is the "balancing spool" compensating for a sudden drop in the hot water pressure, while the cold stays at a higher level. Check for something compromising the flow at the water heater.

Edited 1 times.

Author: rneydl (PA)

Thanks for the replies. As to how I can see the shower pipes: There is a garden tub adjacent to the shower stall, and there is a louvred vent cover in the tub enclosure close to the end of the tub that is near the shower. When I remove the louvred cover, I can see the plumbing that serves the tub, as well as the lower 2 feet of the shower plumbing. I can’t see any higher, but when I grip the pipes and try to move them, they seem to be affixed solidly. (Not sure why that louvred cover is there, but it is convenient.)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.