Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Question about plunging a toilet
Author: sum (FL)

No I don't have a clogged toilet that needs plunging, but this afternoon I removed an old toilet from a rental and a thought came to mind.

Many of the newer, low flow toilets have two holes neat the bottom of the bowl. One larger hole is the outlet for the waste that bends up then down and connect to the drain pipe, the smaller hole in the front produces a "jet" when the toilet is flushed and some water runs down the rim to clean the bowl and some pushes out of that front hole to help with the flush.

So, when you seal a plunger to the bowl and push push push...presumably it is when something is blocked in the trapway, wouldn't some of the water be pushed back into the front hole back up to the top of the bowl and may come out of the holes around the rim, or even go back into the tank (yes I know there is a flapper there with a tank of water inside already). What I am saying is the plunging is not 100% directed to clear the blockage because there is a path from that other hole to the inside of the bowl to the little holes around the rim of the bowl and even to the tank.

Re: Question about plunging a toilet
Author: hj (AZ)

That opening has been in bowls for decades, since the reverse trap and siphon jet bowls were introduced. It is NOT a factor when you plunge a bowl.

Author: hi (TX)

Sum, I think this is why they have a plunger that doesn't look like a suction cup but it's got a little extension past the suction cup. It'll block that wholesome what. Also have you seen the plungers but are somewhat like an accordion. They have them at Walmart these really put the suction and movement on the Block. I especially like the little ones for vanity sinks. Of course you know that when you're plunging the sink or the bathtub you have to plug the Overflow hole and I think that's what you're getting to with the punching a regular toilet.

hj I know the front opening has been around for decades I am trying to understand why wouldn't the front hole inhibit the effectiveness of a plunger since if the rear hole is clogged then the front hole would be the "easier" path for the body of water being plunged right?

hi, if I am picturing the anatomy of the bottom of a bowl correctly, if I am facing a toilet from the front, the bottom of the toilet is like a "tee". There is a larger hole to the "north" which is the outlet to the waste line, and there is a smaller hole which leads back up the bowl, connected to the tiny holes around the rim, and up the tank through the flapper of a flush valve.

The plunger is lowered into the bowl and the larger round end seals against the tapered geometry of the bowl, theoretically should anyway. When you plunge water is forced down and it can push against waterever may be clogging the tramway but it can also be pushed back into the jet hole right? They are both at the very bottom.

Unless the size of the jet hole is smaller to inhibit that or there is some sort of backflow prevention design built in?

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Sum, you are correct in that some water will "escape" through the siphon jet hole when plunging but its effect on the efficacy of plunging is less than you think, for two reasons.
1) The clog breaks up more from the momentum of the water and less from the actual pressure generated by the plunger. This is why plunging strokes need to be sharp, to generate this momentum. This momentum is at right angles to the jet opening and hence the jet opening does not bleed off much momentum.
2) As you pointed out, the jet hole is much smaller than the trap pathway.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.