Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water flowing into sump from sanitary sewer??
Author: bkh (OH)

I have been dealing with the same plumbing issue for the past nearly 2 months. After a heavy rainstorm, I noticed that water was continuously flowing into my sump pump and sometimes it smelled like rotten eggs, and sometimes the smell subsided, but the water never stopped flowing into the sump. I've had a plumber out several times as well as the city and have paid $1200 to have him snake the storm drain and also run the hydro jet through. After having both the city and the plumber having come out twice each over the course of a couple weeks, the water that was backed up in the storm cleanout finally cleared out. I thought my nightmare was over.... until I noticed that every time I shower or wash dishes, water flows into the sump again and it smells like sewer/rotten eggs. There has been no rain since the cleanout was cleared out, so I know the water is coming from my household use.

I have not noticed any telltale signs of a sewer line break, such as slow drains or backups or gurgling in the drains or toilets. But, I am certain water is flowing from the shower and drains and somehow into my sump. I have lived in the house for 2.5 years, and have not previously had this problem. The house is 100 years old.

Can anyone help determine why this may be? And what kind of cost I am looking at if I have sewer line break under my basement foundation?

Re: Water flowing into sump from sanitary sewer??
Author: hj (AZ)

absolutely no way to tell without a lot more information than you have now.

Author: bkh (OH)

Well, I don’t know if this helps, but after my washer ran, I took a video of water pouring into my sump pit and you can see soap suds in the sump. My washer is in the basement and drains into the floor drain that is a few feet away from the sump pit. It seemed like it took the water a few minutes after the washer drained before it came pouring into the sump. When the water from the house (shower, washer, kitchen sink) comes into the sump, it smells like rotten eggs. When no water is coming in, the smell subsides.

Before the plumber snaked the storm sewer, water was constantly flowing into the sump, but after snaking out some roots, that water flowed out towards the street. Now, the water is only flowing in when I use water in the house, and then stops after that water has all gone to the sump, apparently.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

some areas allow "gray water" to be discharged into the ground. some don't...
if you can seal the cover on the sump tank and then vent it to prevent air lock you can leave it the way it is.
otherwise you need to do some digging to reroute the drains.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.