Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sump Pump Drain Line Gurgle
Author: inn_keeper (OH)

I’m trying to figure out what the deal is with this noise coming from my sump pump drain line. About 10-15 seconds after running the normal cycle I can hear a bubbly/gurgling noise from the drain line outside my house. Think almost like boiling chocolate or something. Loud, long bubbles. Or maybe if you took a full 2 liter bottle and held it upside down - the sound when the bottle is sucking in air.

I can hear it like 20 yards away from where the drain exits my house and goes into the ground. I cannot hear the noise when I am sitting right next to the sump pit in the basement. The noise is strictly outside of the house.

Any idea what it is and how to fix it? It’s just a bit annoying and I can hear it at night from my bedroom. The bedroom is on the same side of the house as the drain line.

Here is a pic of the pipe coming out of my house: [imgur.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Sump Pump Drain Line Gurgle
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Take the pipe plug out of the end of that pipe and let it pump a couple cycles onto the lawn. At least, if the noise is not there, you have narrowed down the cause.

I took the plug out/off. Ran a few cycles and I do not hear the noise any longer. First cycle after putting the plug back in and the noise returned.

Loosen the clamps on the fernco fitting and pull it up. Run a couple cycles and see if it's backing up in the drain.

So loosen the fittings and move it up enough to see what happens as the water transfers from the 1.5” PVC to the 3” PVC? And in a perfect world the water goes straight into the 3” without overflowing?

Well......It shouldn't back up. Where does that 3" line go? Does the downspout from the gutter tie in also? Is the pipe full of leaves?

I will give this a try tomorrow - not going to be able to test tonight.

It leads to a drain into the street. I am assuming that the downspout ties into the same drain line as there is only one exit point through the curb at the street.

I haven't done much investigating into downspouts/gutters since I moved in a few months back. I don't have any trees on my lot so I am hoping that keeps things clear but I will look into it as well.

Thanks for your help, I'll update again tomorrow evening.

Everything is clear. Sump drain and downspout drain - no clogs or stoppages in either. Both are tied into the same drain that goes to the street.

Upon further review, the noise is actually coming from the downspout that goes into the PVC drain. It must echo all up through the downspout.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.