Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water heater water damage
Author: NP16 (OR)

came across this water heater today under a home. It appears at some point that surface water came in.
Should the homeowner have any concerns with this? There is good hot water at the faucets.

[i.postimg.cc]

Re: water heater water damage
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Carbon monoxide detector in the house I hope

Author: packy (MA)

i would be..
since it was ground water, perhaps their homeowners insurance will cover the cost of replacement??

Author: sum (FL)

In Florida home owner insurance would not cover this.

This would be covered by flood insurance which deals with rising water invading a home.

If a window is broken by hurricane and driving rain comes inside then it's windstorm insurance coverage.

Home owners insurance would cover theft, fire, a sudden pipe rupture, stuff like that.

Author: hj (AZ)

It would be less than the flood insurance deductible, anyway. The control was not submerged so if the pilot and burner orifices cleaned themselves and the heater works he should be good.

@ Palm329....I agree on the CO detector with the fuel burning appliance under the kitchen floor. If I get the job to replace the shower valve I'll check with her to see if she has a CO detector that is working.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Np, not only due to it being under the floor, but who know about the condition of the orifices and vents and the heat exchanger and etc. if it’s not mixing air and gas at the right ratios, you can get abnormal CO produced. How does the flame look when it’s on? Smooth and blue? If this was my house I wouldn’t think twice, I’d replace it... too much on the line if it malfunctions.

Author: sum (FL)

why is there so much mud?

Was it a flood or was it a mud slide?

Apparently the downspout for the gutters broke causing all the roof rain water to enter the crawl space.

I was there to bid on a shower valve replacement so I didn't look at the burner assembly.

I did forward this photo to the homeowner and said I was concerned and would look into it more.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

It's an FVIR. What does the combustion air intake look like?

Author: drearsha (TX)

I think he should. You never know what might happen, so If I were the owner of that house, in this situation, I would prefer to be prepared. I know from my experience what it's like to deal with water damage. Trust me, it's an awful experience. So I will ask you to prevent that guy, just in case. I really hope that everything will be ok, and there will be no incidents. Wish you a good day, guys.

Edited 4 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.