Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to attach these angle valves to water supply lines
Author: Atti (IN)

I'm installing a wall mounted sink with a bottle type trap. It all looks like it will work together, but I can't find a fitting that will attach the angle 1/4 turn shut off valve to supply copper 1/2" pipes.
I understand from the box that it is a 1/2" NPT.
Would a compression nut and sleeve attach valve to copper pipe?
What exactly would I need?
The valve is Italian made but I think the threads are meant for USA. I'm in Indiana.
[photos.google.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: How to attach these angle valves to water supply lines
Author: bernabeu (SC)

attach a usable image:

[www.plbg.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

you need to have a threaded pipe sticking out of the wall, not copper tubing.
a drop eared 90 is the proper fitting to have behind the wall with a chrome nipple screwed into it.

Author: hj (AZ)

OR brass if you select the proper length nipple.

Author: steve (CA)

If you don't want to solder on male thread adapters, either use compression stops or use compression male thread adapters with your current stops.

Author: Kennethburton (CA)

Hey, Thanks for sharing this.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Now, if we just knew what kind of connections the original poster has, we could figure out if any of this is relevant to the situation.

I have a link here with one of the angle valves I was going to use,
and the two tube type connectors to faucet I was thinking of using
or maybe use the hose type connectors to faucet.
[photos.google.com]

Looks like the adapter might stick out from the wall too much if I use the original 1/4 turn stop in the photo.
In the last photo is a 1/4 turn valve I picked up at Lowes today, Will fit but doesn't look so pretty.

Tried to post photos here but can't seem to get it to work.

Edited 3 times.

the new link doesn't work either..

Author: NP16 (OR)

Looks like your water shutoffs will fairly high and won't be that visible.
It will be easier to install the compression style stops to the existing copper stub outs.

I think BrassCraft's quarter turn chrome stops are simple and sharper looking versus the one you have in the picture.

If you want to install the stops that come with the faucet well then I would install brass female fittings in the wall right up to where the sheet rock is (almost in the sheetrock). More soldering of pipe involved and if you aren't comfortable doing that it means a pro is needed. Very important that the piping and fittings are properly supported in the wall.

Edited 2 times.

Author: sum (FL)

If you want to use these stops:

Then you need to do what Packy suggested to have a drop ear 90 mounted just behind the finished wall secured to the wall framing, you can then thread these stops into female connections of the drop ear 90 (put in two proper sized escutcheons). However that would require you to remove the sheetrock again and solder on the drop ear 90s.

If you want to use the copper stub outs as they are now, you can just cut the tip off with a tubing cutter, then connect a pair of compression stop valves plus two escutcheons for 1/2" copper pipes. Quarter turn valves are better than multi-turns. The stub outs look kind of crooked. Are they secured inside the wall?

Bottle traps look nice but they can be a rain pain.

look into the end of the stops you have.
if there is a taper to the inside and the stops slide over the copper, chances are those are compression on both ends.

open the package and try the nuts from the compression stop you just got on the stops you have.
i have never seen nor can i even imagine someone would make a chrome stop with male pipe threads ???
lastly, you don't have an awful lot of copper sticking out of the wall so you gotta be careful if those are indeed compression..

Plumber did the crooked copper pipes.
Should that be a problem? They are already fixed in place.

I won't bother with the stops I have. I will look at BrassCraft's quarter turn chrome stops
It's true that it shouldn't be very noticeable.

Are bottle traps a problem? They look really nice!

Author: sum (FL)

The pipes as they are now should be functional. Since one of them is not coming out at 90 degrees your escutcheon cover if you use them won't be able to sit flush with the wall. It's purely cosmetic consideration if that bothers you and whether it is noticeable once the sink is installed. A compression stop needs a length of exposed copper pipe to work. I like to have enough pipe to "bottom" all the way into the stop, plus the tiny length for the escutcheon cover, plus a little extra, so don't cut the pipes too short.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

cut the stubs

solder on copper x female adapters

done

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.