Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet - Replace or Reinstall?
Author: sum (FL)

I have a rental with the toilet leaking at the base when flushed. I always leave a small hole at the back when I caulk the base and water seeps out from there when the toilet is flushed.

I have already checked the tank, the back and the connections to the fill valve, it's all dry.

The most likely explanation is the wax seal has broken. No problem, just need to remove and reset with a new wax ring. HOWEVER, I am wondering if I should just replace the toilet while I am at it?

The toilet works, it's functional, but it's pink, from 1950s. It has a pink cover.

From the tank it says GERBER. I remember at one time I had to replace the flush valve, it needed a special gasket and I had a hard time finding one that didn't leak. I also remember finding a pair of old matching pink color porcelain bolt covers for it, I don't know if I can find new ones now if I need it. What if a tenant breaks the pink seat cover? I have to replace it with white?

Also, it's not water saving. The tank is what? 3 gallons? 5 gallons? So replacing it will save some water consumption.

At one point in time, the tub, sink, toilets were all pink. Now the sink was replaced with white. CI tub is still pink, and the toilet can be either way.

Thoughts? Keep or replace?

Re: Toilet - Replace or Reinstall?
Author: Palm329 (VA)

If you replace it, don’t trash it, post it on Craigslist... some people go crazy for these vintage 50’s colored toilets for some reason.

Author: Doug-LV (NV)

I'd swap it out for a cheap white one and also follow the advice to post the pink one -- it'll probably pay for the new one if you find someone who's into those old things.

Author: packy (MA)

the savings on the water/sewer bill will pay for the new toilet in a short time...

I am going to replace it.

The old toilet will be cleaned up and taken to my local habitat 4 humanity store.

As for the new toilet...I visited the big box store today. Looks like all the Kohler they carry now has this canister style flush valve. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Would you base a toilet purchase decision on whether the tank parts are readily available at hardware or big box stores on weekends?

Any opinion on the American Standards Champion 4 Max? It says it is "engineered to flush a bucket of golf balls"?

Toto has always been a good choice because it has a bigger diameter trapway that minimizes clogs. Is Toto still the king of toilets or have other brands like Kohler and American Standards caught up?

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Would you base a toilet purchase decision on whether the tank parts are readily available at hardware or big box stores on weekends?

ME? NEVER, but YOU might. As for TOTO, I have only installed a handful, (a very small handful, at that), of them since they became available.

I found this site where they apparently did a bunch of flush tests on many brands and model of toilets and rate them. You can put in rough in dimension, whether you want 1 or 2 pc, mounting, elongated or standard, ADA or whatever, gravity or power assist etc...and get back a list.

[www.map-testing.com]

The American Standard Champion 4 seems to score real high.

WOW I am really surprised on toilet prices. I know we are not supposed to discuss prices on here, but I have never seen anything with such a variation on prices.

I was trying to get the price for the original Toto Drake CST744SG#1 which uses 1.6G flushes.

Some places online sells it for over $600, some in the $300 range, Lowes $350+, Home Depot and Amazon $270+. I know I bought one a few years ago for around $180.

Going to call local plumbing supply houses tomorrow and see what they have.

Author: packy (MA)

look at the TOTO entrada.
very reasonably priced..

Author: schwansa67 (WI)

I would replace while removed anyhow to put new wax on. You have the old 3.5 gallon per flush as it looks. You will save water and $$ by buying new 1.6 gallon per flush. America standard Titan model which is a great toilet includes ADA handicap height elongated insulated tank with slow close seat. Cannot beat the flush action for around $220/$240. Yes at box store. I'm a plumber and own plumbing business and have the means to buy whatever. But this one is great! I have in my house. (Dont recommend the 1.28 unless u want to flush twice). Yes if the inside of bowl is in good condition I would sell your old one. People do love the retro stuff. Also, new white will match the ped sink haha.

Author: vic (CA)

At my second home I couldn't take my 4 year old American Standard 1.6gpf comfort height toilet anymore ... I hated it and so 2 months ago I ordered another Toto Drake comfort height toilet (we have happily had one at our home for 9 years).

Problem when ordering it was that we live in California and it's illegal to sell and install a 1.6gpf so I held my nose and ordered a 1.2gpf Toto Drake and must say eventhough it cost $300 it's well worth it and I'd do it again.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

3-4 years ago I took the advice of the pros here on PLBG and installed a Toto. Best toilet we've ever had, you never have to flush twice.

I am going to go with Toto as well. I am using a Toto Drake and no issue, I also use a Kohler but that's a 1.6G and most places are selling 1.28G now. The reviews I saw said some of the same model does not do as well with 1.28G, that if they flush well they don't rinse the bowl well.

I was at a plumbing supply store yesterday and saw a toilet by the brand "Niagara". Never heard of it before. They claimed the Stealth model is super quite and flush with only 0.8G. I looked at the guts inside the tank and it scared me a little seeing that special fill valve. Never heard of that brand so for me it's a pass.

Author: vic (CA)

.8gpf .... for flushing #2? smile .... wow. I'm already concerned abput 1.28 gallons being able to carry all waste out to the city sewer.

I'm glad you went with a Toto. It always blows me away when I see some people who will shop for toilets based on price. An extra $100 for a fixture that can last 50 "forever" and is used many times .... everyday. To me it's a no brainer to spend a bit more to get a reliable Toto.

Author: kitch528 (NC)

10 years now with the Toto Drake in the master. No issues. Outstanding performance except bowl wash which could be better. Getting ready to replace the other AM STD soon in the half bath. (clogs easily) Just came on here to see what's new in the toilet world.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.