Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kohler K-4634 flush valve
Author: sum (FL)

I have a tenant who complained about a running toilet. I opened the toilet tank lid and noticed the white tubing coming from the fill valve was NOT inserted into the middle of the flush valve.

So I inserted the tube back into the middle of the canister flush valve and everything seems to work now and the water is not running after I test flushed half a dozen times.

Any idea how this tubing could have worked itself loose like that? Or the tenant messed with it and didn't know what they were doing?

An unrelated question, if this flush valve ever breaks, do I have to replace it with a genuine Kohler canister flush valve, or can I replace it with a generic flush valve with a flapper/chain?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Kohler K-4624 flush valve
Author: srloren (CA)

Best practice is stay with Manufacturer parts. Period. But to answer your question, water under pressure will tend to lift the tubing because of the curve in the tubing. Also I have made many trips to the hardware store trying to fix a leak inside the toilet because the flapper was not the correct one to fit the flush valve with a proper seal. That is my reason for staying with the manufacturers parts

Re: Kohler K-4634 flush valve

sorry should have been K-4634 not K-4624.

Is this true for everything though?

I tend to replace a broken fill valve with a FluidMaster ones as it seems to be they work better and are more quiet, even when the original manufacturer fill valve is available. I toss out the manufacturer's tank and floor bolt kits all the time when I am not sure if it's SS or plated and use my own that I purchase at the supply store.

This canister style flush valve doesn't seem as simple as the standard flapper type. I am curious if I can use a standard flush valve in it's place, not that I will do it, just to know if that option is available. Seems like it should, unless the big hole at the bottom of the tank is non-standard diameter, or the vertical distance between the bottom of tank to the inlet to the bowl is non-standard, then it won't. Seems this canister style valve is not as serviceable.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the water level is too high

adjust the float on the fill valve down 1/2"

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Very few manufacturers make their own parts. Most Kohler toilets use Fluidmaster fill valves and Korky flappers, while Toto uses Korky valves. Unless their is some overriding reason not to, I use generic replacement parts. I have not worked on one, but the canister may be a bayonet mounting, and if so, it would be easier to replace/repair than changing to a different style.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

sum, you can change the flush valve to a conventional flapper type.
you would have to remove the tank to do this.
you will then (more than likely) need an adjustable flapper to get the correct flush ??
probably something like this..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.