Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shorter j-bend
Author: dyiCarolyn (Canada)

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone makes a 1-1/4" j-bend (for lav sink) that has a short profile. I don't have enough clearance for a standard height j-bend because the tail piece has a double thickness on the upper portion and the nut for the j-bend can't go high enough. I tried a "shorter" one that measures 4-5/8" in total height, but it's just a bit too high. I really need a 4 inch height. Any chance I will find this?

Re: shorter j-bend
Author: hj (AZ)

would need a picture of what you are working with, because there are ways to do it, but they do not work in every case.

Author: dyiCarolyn (Canada)

Thanks. I can't figure out how to post my own photo, but here's a photo showing the type of tailpiece I'm talking about. In order for the j-bend to fit properly at the waste arm side, it needs to slide up the tailpiece higher than the nut will go, because the part of the tailpiece that is double walled is preventing it. So, I was thinking that one solution is to find a shorter j-bend, and, if necessary, cut some off the end of the tailpiece.
Another solution I've been pondering (and not as simple) is to cut the tailpiece twice -- just below and just above where the two pieces of metal are fused, and then reassemble using Just For Copper (TM) product. That way I could use the standard j-bend I just bought.

Author: marlinman (FL)

Search Google for "Low inlet J-Bend"

You are muddying the waters with your reference to a "double walled" tailpiece, and cutting above and below the double wall. The drain you show has a straight tailpiece and if you cut ANYTHING other than the plain end of the tailpiece you will destroy the drain and have to buy a new one.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

OP's image

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Makes no difference. The ONLY thing you can safely cut is the plain end of the tailpiece.

Author: packy (MA)

actually...
if you have a 1 1/2 inch trap, you can toss the tailpiece and slide the 1 1/2 inch slip nut onto the wider part of the assembly. you will have to use a rubber slip washer but it will work..
been there... done that..

Never tried it, because I always found a way to make it work.

Author: RR60 (VA)

Search Google for "Low inlet J-Bend"

Never even knew they made these. Seems could be a good idea to keep one on hand when needed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.