Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 No sustainable hot water to fill bathtub shower ok.
Author: bathtubproblem (CA)

Hello all let me thank you in advanced for helping me with this problem.

I have an Tempra Stiebel Eltron elcetric water heater, in an older 6 floor building apartment with about 20 units per floor and when I first moved in I swore I took a hot bath using only the bath faucet.

It was an old heater and ended up breaking as I received no hot water from either bath or showerand had it replaced.

I now have steaming hot water out of the shower but luke warm out of the tub (with the electric heater on its highest setting)

IF I turn the hot water FIRST on the shower on all the way, then once its hot switch it back to the bathtub faucet
I will get scolding hot water for about 4 seconds (full water pressure) before it returning to a luke/warm cold temperature.

Also I can sometimes get the water to stay hot out of the tub if I play with the water diverter and have the bath tub barley running any water and the shower would be on as well.

I've had the electric heater replaced again and still the same problem.(shower ok)
Also the plumber switched out the bath tub faucet and shower handle and maybe the cartridge I'm not sure but I'm convinced he doesn't know what hes doing and management will hopefully have someone new soon and I'd like to point them in the right direction.

The original plumber said it was an electrical issue but the electrician said it was ok.

Thank you so much again any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hot baths are great for sore muscles smiling smiley
Happy Holidays!
thumbs up

Re: No sustainable hot water to fill bathtub shower ok.
Author: steve (CA)

What model # is the water heater, 12, 15, 20, 24, 29, or 36? Is it the same model # that you originally had? Sounds like it's smaller and can't keep up with the higher demand that the tub uses. Also the temperature of the incoming water to the heater will make a difference.

Re: No sustainable hot water to fill bathtub shower ok.
Author: packy (MA)

exactly... the heater is too small to supply hot water in the winter..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.