Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 cracking sound
Author: NP16 (OR)

was tightening a loose tank on a toilet today and when I tightened the tank bolt nut I heard a cracking sound as if the tank cracked. I examined the tank and could not find one. It is not leaking.
tell me I have nothing to worry about?

On a side note: would you think it would ever make sense to apply pipe dope to female threads? Is there a situation that might call for that?

Edited 2 times.

Re: cracking sound
Author: srloren (CA)

You could have a Hairline crack that is difficult to see. I often apply pipe dope on female threads for gas and waste lines. Some don't recommend it for gas lines but I have not experienced a problem doing it. The green pipe dope used for gas is very sticky. Not a good idea for potable water though.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Sorry to say, but I think you should bite the bullet and replace the tank. Would you want it in your own house?

I don't dope female threads -- it gets inside the piping. I was always told to leave the first couple male threads dry as well.

Edited 3 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm with steve on the cracking sound...
i'm with steve as for no pipe dope on female threads.
i'm not with steve leaving the first two male threads dry..

Author: hj (AZ)

Almost the same here. I have heard of government inspectors requiring fittings to be removed and inspected if they suspect dope was put on the female threads.

Author: NP16 (OR)

I agree with everything said.

1. the toilet was installed originally by the homeowner with a super crooked tank
2. rooter company came in and pulled the toilet so they could cable the main drain. Their re-install was very poor as the whole toilet was moving and the closet bolt hardware missing

So me the 3rd person working on this toilet squares up the tank and barely tightens the right side nut and then the cracking sound. This is a landlord situation and he is fed up with costs. I just don't want this conversation about another cost. But I agree with what you all said above. Thank you.

I was wondering about the reasoning for no dope on female threads. Makes sense that it could end up in the piping causing issues in the system.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

The reasoning FOR it is that if there is a slight leak, the pressure may force the sealant into the threads and stop it.

Author: ra14851144 (MS)

If the top flange of the bowl cracks it may not leak.
Pipe dope inside fitting can detach and restrict flow.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.