Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas manifold pressures
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Got a problem which had me going crazy but I think I’m getting closer to resolving it. Basically my carrier furnace (which has been running for many years) started throwing code 33’s and basically not keeping the house warm enough last week. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the airflow or rollout or anything.

Then I remembered I had my gas meter/regulator replaced with a larger one 2 months ago for my generac generator project. (You may recall my previous posts here concerning that). When the gas company guy was out doing that, he was asking what I was up to and upon hearing about the generator, he said he was setting the regulator for 7.5” WC. The generac calls for 5-7” but he said something about the pressure drop.

No adjustments were made at the time to the existing furnace and water heater in my home.

Now, I believe my furnace may be overfired and throwing code 33’s because the master high limit is tripping. I ordered a “yellow jacket” water manometer and it’s arriving tomorrow.

I have the following questions:

1. Should I drop the main regulator (at meter) to 7” WC? The generac can operate from 5-7” so I would imagine this would be fine.

2. The carrier furnace calls for 3.5” WC at the manifold. When setting this, do I need the generac and water heater running at full consumption? Or should I isolate to the furnace when making the adjustment?

3. I don’t see any adjustment screw/manometer port on the GE (AO Smith) water heater. Do water heaters even need manifold adjustments?

4. I don’t see anything about manifold pressure adjustments in the Generac install manual. Am I missing something here or does it autosense the pressure or something like that?

Thanks for your advise!

Re: Gas manifold pressures
Author: packy (MA)

lots of videos on you tube about adjusting gas pressure to a furnace.
the majority of gas valves are honeywell and even if yours isn't, they all have a pressure port for attaching the gauge and also have a screw for adjusting the pressure.
here is a generic video about setting pressure..
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Packy, but can you comment on my other questions such as the water heater? Thanks!

Author: hj (AZ)

Many gas valves, especially water heaters, have an internal pressure regulator.

Author: packy (MA)

[waterheatertimer.org]

Great link, I have the “white Rodgers mechanical” valve, so there’s a test port hidden under the bottom but no adjustment. Looking forward to playing around with the yellow jacket tomorrow! Learning something new.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.