Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Would failure to bleed dual hydronic when new H2O heater installed cause this?
Author: Doug-LV (NV)

Hi,

I moved from the eastern US to Las Vegas a few years ago, so I am unfamiliar with a "dual hydronic" heating system, which I think is what they call this thing...

Basically, my hot water heater doubles as my heating system in that there is a hot water outlet that goes up into the ceiling and must run through some coils and fans or something, which allows me to blow warm air throughout my condo.

Anyway, my hot water heater died a few months ago and I had it replaced. Hot water was flowing fine to my faucets before the new install ever since, but about a week ago I finally turned on my heating system for the first time. That seemed to work fine also. I discovered the problem the next morning when I got in the shower and the water was barely warm...I thought the hot water heater went out and the water had just cooled over night, but when I checked it, it was fine -- for some reason the hot water just isn't making it directly through my faucets after running the heating system.

In doing some tests, I found that:

1) If I completely shut the valves that go to the heating system, then hot water will make its way to my faucets again, but then I can't run my heating system!

2) If I open the heating system valves AND the heating system is actually RUNNING, then it also seems like hot water makes it to my faucets.

3) HOWEVER, if I have the valves open to the heating system but the system is NOT running, then the hot water does not make it to my faucets... it appears that the pipes to the heating system are the path of least resistance when it's not running, so my hot water is mostly just running through there instead of going to my faucets (at least I think that must be what is happening).

4) Keep in mind, before the new hot water heater install, everything was the same in that the valves were open to the heating system loop but the heating system was not running, but I was still getting hot water to the faucets just fine.

I've read (after I had the hot water heater replaced) that it is very important for these systems to "bleed them" when installing a new water heater. As far as I know, the plumber that replaced mine did not bleed anything having to do with the heating system. Could that have created this issue? Is it something I can fix myself, if that is the case? Basically the only thing that changed was I got a new hot water heater installed, so something in that process seems to have triggered cold water getting drawn into the hot water faucet lines...whether cold is running backwards through the heating loop now or is somehow getting dumped into the top of the water heater as I try to use hot water, I don't know, but somehow cold water is making its way to the hot water lines.

For additional information, it does NOT look like there are actually completely separate, isolated pipes going to the heating system. The hot goes out of the top of the water heater and there is a split--one goes into the wall (and to my faucets, etc. I guess) and one runs up into the ceiling to the heating system. Same with the cold side -- the pipe from the heating system runs down and connects into/meets with the cold water supply that connects to the cool water input to the water heater.

Re: Would failure to bleed dual hydronic when new H2O heater installed cause this?
Author: packy (MA)

its hard to say but it sounds like rather than not getting hot water, what is happening is that the cold is somehow getting into the hot side you get warm rather than hot water.

Re: Would failure to bleed dual hydronic when new H2O heater installed cause this?

Yes, that is exactly what appears to be happening.

My confusion is that it was not happening before the new water heater install, but now it is. I called the plumbing service and they said it sounded like a bad check valve. It does sound like that, but I'm wondering why it occurred immediately after the water heater was installed and if failure to bleed the system properly in a dual hydronic setup like this could have triggered it.

It seems that now, whenever the heating system is not running, the cold water supply is of higher pressure than that heating loop so the cold is pushing that way...as soon as I open the hot water valve, a bit of hot water is coming out of the water heater but that cold water is pushing its way in along with it whereas before, something (check valve, I guess) was preventing this.

I have read that it is of paramount importance to properly bleed the air out of the dual hydronic when replacing the water heater, but I can't find out WHY or WHAT RESULTS if you don't. More to the point, I'm wondering if my exact scenario is what may happen when the proper bleeding procedure is not done...that, other than extreme, extreme coincidence is the only thing I can come up with at the moment.

-Doug

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

It sounds like a check valve is not holding. Could be due to scale build up. I have installed 100s of systems like this with tank type and tankless water heaters. And 90% of the time it is the check valve when water temp is not the same out of faucets as out of the heater

Thanks -- that's pretty much what I've been hearing from everyone so far.

-Doug

Author: srloren (CA)

Another thought is that the circulating line needs to be throttled back to allow it to gain more heat. Adjust your ball valve carefully to accomplish this. Be sure not to close it off completely though. Good luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.