Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replaced symmons temptrol spindle, now faucet won't shut off
Author: Nedtebbets (CT)

We have not had hot water in the tub for a while so we decided to try to replace the symmons 10a spindle. Got it in there and turned the water on, but the faucet will not shut off. Replacing the spindle was pretty straight up. what do i need to do?

Re: Replaced symmons temptrol spindle, now faucet won't shut off
Author: packy (MA)

i'm assuming you did not have this problem with the old cartridge..
i have repaired many symmons over the years and never had that problem.
as you said replacement of the cartridge is pretty straight up..
you do need to have the cartridge in the middle position (not fully open nor fully closed) when tightening or removing the large fastening piece (T-11).
take it apart and try again.
1 800 SYMMONS if you need to talk to tech support.

Author: marlinman (FL)

First make certain you are using a factory TA-10 spindle. If the shower will not shut off you will need to replace the seats TA-4. To replace these you will need seat wrenches t-35A and T35B. Check the washers on the new spindle. Once they come in contact with a bad seat the chances are the washer(s) will need to be replaced. Symmons has a service kit for this # TA-9. Hopefully you kept the old spindle. You can soak it in vinegar for a week or so and rebuild it with the TA-9 kit as well.I've had Symmons in my shower for years and always have a rebuilt one on standby.

Author: packy (MA)

marlinman, as i posted... the problem is strange because he had no dripping before. if the seats were bad i would think it would not cause a loss of hot water as he described ????

Author: marlinman (FL)

With a pitted seat and a worn washer a valve can be operated with no drips. Once the washer surface is smooth a pitted valve seat will drip. Never assume there can only one problem with a pressure balanced spindle or cartridge. The piston in the TA-10 is easily seized due to the tolerances between the piston and housing. A smooth washer and a smooth seat will not drip and a free piston will keep the hot and cold pressures equal.

Author: Frizzellc (CT)

Same thing happened to me. When I inspected the old mixer the o ring at the base had come off and was stuck against the old seat. Once I got that out sealed up nice and valve closed as intended.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.