Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Copper Drain Corrosion - Gas?
Author: dpro0102 (MI)

Hi All,

First time here, I have found a problem with my horizontal 3" copper drain pipe near the exit of the home to septic tank. (3" line runs into an elbow, then down around a foot to the exit pipe that runs to the septic tank).

Was removing my ceiling tiles - and noticed some green debris and a little bit of evidence (now dry) of green leakage. The bottom of the 3" pipe looks and feels solid. I noticed the growths of copper (& something more?) coming out the very top of my pipe. Internet research seems to indicate these DWV Copper drain pipes fail at the bottom - not the top. I'm guessing it's a gas issue from the septic tank? I've not been able to find any images that come anywhere close to what I'm seeing on my pipe.

Looking for concurrence on what happened - and solutions. I want to avoid replacing the complete pipe, as it has 4 unions near the center of the home. I could 'easily' replace the 6-7 feet of pipe from the last union to the exit elbow.

Check out the pics!!

[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]

Re: Copper Drain Corrosion - Gas?
Author: hj (AZ)

I am not sure just what caused it, but since it is NOT on the bottom, it is probably not a "flow" or water problem. I cannot imagine any repair other than replacing the pipe. What kind of "unions" are in the pipe?

Hey hj - you wrote:

>>Author: hj (AZ)<<

>>I am not sure just what caused it, but since it is NOT on the bottom, it is probably not a "flow" or water<< >>problem. I cannot imagine any repair other than replacing the pipe. What kind of "unions" are in the pipe?<<

There are 2 3" tees that are brass/copper and 2 other brass/copper Y-joints that have either 1 1/2" or 2" pipe inlets. Would prefer not to get into converting these T's and Y's over to PVC if possible. At the opposite end of the pipe (adjacent to the final 3" tee) there is a screwed-on clean out cap/plug. The whole horizontal run (with the tees and Y's) is approximately 18 feet long.

Author: hj (AZ)

Those are connections, not unions. Normally, all pipes in a system are the same age and quality, so I don't hold out much hope for any of your copper drain lines.

Author: steve (CA)

Hydrogen sulfide gas is acidic and will cause the deterioration of the copper pipe. The upper section of that horizontal pipe doesn't get washed "clean" and the condensation that builds up along the top of the pipe can concentrate the hydrogen sulfide, causing the rot. Vertical pipes are not going to be as susceptible as horizontal pipes. If the problem is from hydrogen sulfide gas, a house trap will keep the gas out of the house piping.

Thanks for the reply. I cut out ~5 horizontal feet of the drain pipe, and found thinning at the top for this distance. The pipe that I left had no thinning (and was amazingly 'clean' for it's age). Question on the whole house trap recommendation - how does the vent pipe play into preventing the gas build up? I'm guessing that the vent is supposed to allow the septic tank gas to evacuate the overall system? Does my issue perhaps mean that there's an issue with the vent pipe?

Thanks again for the knowledge and advice.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.