Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 "Black goo" in one bath tub...
Author: MWOOD553 (SC)

ONE faucet in the house emits some "black, seemingly greasy/oily goo, most of the time (not always??), when my wife runs water in the tub.
It does NOT come from the shower, as far as I've ever been able to tell, (which I always take showers) of the same faucet...it's when running a bath only, and it is the ONLY faucet in the house that does this.
It makes a greasy ring around the tub...Clorox bathroom cleaner "melts it right away" to scrub off with a Scotch pad.
It's a Delta one handle faucet which gradually mixes the water, so it seems it isn't specifically hot or cold...it's just there.
Any ideas? So far it's totally isolated to this one faucet, and the tub only...been doing it for quite some time now???
Suggested source or origin? Any hope of a fix other than replacing the faucet and piping back to the source?

Re: "Black goo" in one bath tub...
Author: hj (AZ)

IF it is the faucet, then replacing the core should clear it up. IF not, then there is no way for us to diagnose it.

Author: srloren (CA)

A possibility is a galvanized nipple possibly inside the tub spout. They rust and can cause this to happen. To eliminate this remove the spout take a look see.

Author: steve_g (CA)

This can occur with older braided steel flex lines. The inner rubber liner of some flex connectors will starts to deteriorate. If you have flexes connecting your water heater, I would looks at those first.

The tub spout will flow more water than most anything else in your house, and you /might/ find some black deposits in your aerators.

Author: marlinman (FL)

I had the same thing in my house. I opened the wall behind the valve and the valve was connected with the old style braided lines. I piped it correctly and the black went away.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.