Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Will this pass inspection?
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Used everyone’s tips and got a gas line run for my new generator.

Had the gas company install a new meter with 550,000 btu capacity. They set regulator to 7.5” WC. I also have a 88,000 furnace and a 38,000 water heater. (Generator is 327,000 btu max load)

I then took everything apart back to the meter bar and used a reducing coupling to go from 3/4” to 1.25” steel straight out to where the generator will sit. Approx 15’ run with 4 elbows on it. The calculations showed it borderline between 1” and 1.25” so I just went big. Used megaloc (the blue one) goop on all joints.

Do you think it will pass inspection? My concerns are if that steel pipe can run outside so close to the ground, and also if I can run the pipe up at that angle to reach the correct height for the feed line?

Also, what should I use to seal the hole where I core drilled thru the brick and block wall? Hydraulic cement, duct seal, spray foam? What’s the best way to do it?

Thanks!

PS - I want to get a 3/4” “full size” valve with a manometer (test) port. That can be installed outdoors. I know Home Depot doesn’t have that kind of thing, so what exactly should I ask for when I go to the plumbing supply?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Will this pass inspection?
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Your final connection to the generator will be a flex connector, for vibration dampening. Your generator may come with it.

Author: NP16 (OR)

The inspector will need to see your new piping hold a pressure test.

I would have installed a new IPS ball valve at the beginning of your new run so that this new section can be tested separately than the rest. Then at the end of the new run an additional gas valve. Lastly a nipple and gauge testing all the new work holding 20 PSI during a 24 hour period.

good luck and post your green tag soon!

Edited 2 times.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Oh god I didn’t even consider a pressure test. Now what can I do? I guess disconnect the meter and close the cutoff valves at the furnace and water heater and test it that way? I just won’t have heat or hot water for a day. I can handle that.

Author: packy (MA)

if the gas has been on for days and there are no leaks then you should be fine with the inspection. but you never know ??
ask the inspector before he comes out to be sure..
i would put one more hanger just above the meter.
also paint the outside piping with a good rustoleum type paint.
so far it looks good to me..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.