Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hanging gas pipe on wall
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Can I use the split ring type hangers on the threaded rods mounted on a “ceiling plate” to hold a 1.25” steel gas pipe on a wall? Off maybe 2 inches, so I have space to thread the fittings on?
Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Re: Hanging gas pipe on wall
Author: packy (MA)

that's probably the strongest way to hang the pipe. it is the way i would do it...

Thanks Packy... spacing should be every 18 or 24 inches or so you think?

I wasn’t sure if they could be used horizontally, since they are labeled ceiling plate..

get a bunch of 3/8 nuts.
mount the plate on the wall.
cut the short pieces of 3/8 rod to the length you want.
put 2 nuts on the rod.
screw the rod into the plate and then secure it by tightening the nut up against the plate.
do the same with the spltr ring.
makes the hangers nice and tight.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote: space to thread the fittings on?

THAT is not a consideration to an experienced installer. I would NOT use those hangers because a pipe on the wall exerts "leverage" on the hangers that a pipe suspended from the ceiling does not, and the farther from the wall the more leverage.

Hj - yes that’s why I wanted to confirm if this was the correct way to hang the pipe.

What are the alternatives? And how does one “roll on” an elbow when the pipe is directly on a brick wall? If there’s a better way please let me know and I’m happy to try.

Just do NOT fasten the "end" of the pipe until AFTER you install the elbow.

Sorry Hj that doesn’t make sense to me. At least in this case where there are additional bends upstream. Or are you suggesting I assemble the whole pipe then slide it against the wall and then use a union fitting to attach it to the upstream sections, rather than fitting it piece by piece from the source to the end?

there is no better way for 1 1/4 pipe.
if the pipe was held a foot off the wall then i agree with hj.
but if the pieces of thread rod are only 1 inch long between the plate and the hanger, there will no sag.
as i said i would put nuts onto the rod and tighten them on each end.
something like this will be fine..
[#$%&]

You attach a section of pipe to the wall. When you need to put an elbow, or other fitting, on, you "spring" the pipe away from the wall and install the fitting, then you finish securing the pipe to the wall, you just continue on down the line until you reach another fitting and repeat the process. I have NEVER had to install a pipe with "stand offs" in order to install fittings. Four feet between hangers is ridiculous.

Author: srloren (CA)

hj brings up a good point. For hanger spacing, it should be installed according to the local plumbing code?

thinking about this and i would use 3/8 'sammys' rather than plates and screws.
i would space them at every other wall stud for additional strength.
just use an impact driver and screw them right in.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

'google' offset pipe clamp

an inexpensive version:

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

stand off pipe clamp does it also.

Re: Hanging gas pipe on wall clap

Thanks guys! I’m going to try to run this pipe at my house this weekend. All of these are great tips. I’ll try to figure out what options are available locally.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.