Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water pressure creep even with new prv
Author: Unhappy harry homeowner (MD)

The water pressure creeps up and leaks from hot water heater relief valve and kitchen faucet. The PRV was set at 50# after installing. The water pressure goes up above 150# within 20 minutes of relieving the pressure. The closest fire hydrant is suppose to be have 144 # . I live below the street level approximately 70 feet. This is an on going problem. Do I need to install a second PRV in series?

Re: water pressure creep even with new prv
Author: steve (CA)

The 70 elevation drop will add about 30 psi to the 144 psi. What's the maximum psi input rating of your valve? Why was the old valve replaced? You might have either a defective regulator or there is debris caught in it, keeping it from sealing 100%.

Max pressure is 300psi and settings from 25-75. This PRV is a Watts and before that a Cash Acme.It was doing the same thing but now it seems not to take as long. Also this phenomenon will disappear occasionally for a few hours and even a day.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

that might imply that it is thermal expansion from the water heater, since malfunctioning valves do NOT "cure" themselves periodically.

Author: PA_Plumber (PA)

I had this same problem at a house. I ordered a high pressure PRV to put before a standard PRV. It's designed to take the higher pressure and knock it down part way.

So If I add another PRV it should solve the problem?

Author: hj (AZ)

You will NOT know whether if will, or not, until AFTER you install it. and if it does, you won't know whether it was needed, or if it is just doing what the first one should have been doing.

Author: steve (CA)

Turn off the water heater and see if the pressure still creeps up. If the max input of the existing regulator is 300psi, it should be ok with your ~170psi

Thanks clap

The post about thermal expansion got me thinking. I regrouped and started researching that phenomenon.I than went and checked my expansion tank which I found had no air pressure.I also remember that when I installed the tank I only place like 15psi in it.That right there was the problem and not bothering to read the instructions the other.I had another tank which I charged to 70psi and installed.My pressure will creep up to just under 100psi
but goes no further and holds there.My operating pressure is 50psi.I held off for a couple days to allow a sufficient test time.Fellas, I believe the problem is solved.Thank you for your responses and advice.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: raingurl (CO)

The water pressure creeps up and leaks from hot water heater relief valve and kitchen faucet. The PRV was set at 50# after installing. The water pressure goes up above 150# within 20 minutes of relieving the pressure. The closest fire hydrant is suppose to be have 144 # . I live below the street level approximately 70 feet. This is an on going problem. Do I need to install a second PRV in series?

I had the same exact problem. Moving to another house solved it grinning smiley

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.