Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Copper corrosion
Author: sum (FL)

I have an outdoor hosebib connected to a 3/4" copper pipe. The copper pipe is buried below grade and rises up to about 18" above ground before connecting to the hosebib. The vertical riser is secured to a piece of 4X4 lumber with copper straps.

I noticed now a year later, that the 3/4" copper pipe is still nice and shiny.

But the copper strap seems to be badly corroded.

Copper is copper right? Why would the strap corroded so badly, when the copper pipe is contacting water inside AND outside but stays shiny with no sign of corrosion?

Re: Copper corrosion
Author: srloren (CA)

My guess is that the thickness of the strap is thinner and also both sides of the strap are exposed to the weather. Oxygen is always corroding. Spray clear lacquer on it to keep it shiny longer.

Author: steve (CA)

Are the straps solid copper or copper plated?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

sum.....try cleaning that, just for grin and giggles. Not that it's the case, but I could see a Chinese factory making a lot of money by selling copper plated strapping as copper strapping.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

You beat me to it steve.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

If the 4 x 4 riser is treated lumber, the salts in the wood will rust and corrode copper and steel.

PAUL48 and steve, unfortunately I threw the piece away after taking the picture, so I no longer have it to clean it up and examine. But I have a feeling I have the whole reel of this somewhere at the rental storage, and next time I go there I will sand it down to see if it's 100% copper.

sharp1, it is pressure treated lumber. However, the copper pipe the copper strap is attached to, is also in contact with the lumber. The copper pipe has no sign of any corrosion, when the attached strap is. Hence my original question.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you have a "reel" of it, then it IS probably coated steel.

Author: packy (MA)

just look at the end of the strap after it has been cut.
if it is shiny, it is steel..

Author: hj (AZ)

or use your magnet.

OH MY OH MY, I learned something new every day!

I sanded down the reel of copper straps I have, and it's not copper all the way!

I have always assumed this is ALL COPPER! until now...

I then used a magnetic tray and tested that on my other copper straps and retainers. Everything on the counter is copper and everything stuck on the bottom of that tray is NOT copper!!!

Even the two hole straps, some are copper and some are not even though they look copper. See the two below, the top one is NOT copper.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.