Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 something inside house draining well
Author: sotacracker (GA)

We're on a 500-foot well which has never had a problem in 21 years, even though drought. In the last two months, we've run out of water twice. The well, lines and pressure tank have been checked out and are fine. We didn't use the well for two days and afterward had 380 feet of water. But with normal use (which is conservative), we're running dry which has never happened. The toilets have been checked with food color in the tank to see if they have a slow leak into the bowl. No. The well serviceman believes something in the house is continually running water as he has checked all related to the well and lines. Can anyone suggest what else besides toilets might be running water? I am not a handyman or a diy plumber--just a homeowner with a problem. Thanks for any input.

Re: something inside house draining well
Author: steve (CA)

Can you turn off the pump, don't use any water and see if the pressure drops?

The pressure holds. I did check again per your question, but also when this happened two months ago and we cut off the pump for two days, pressure held for several hours. At that time, the well technician found all to be fine with the pump, pressure tank and the lines. Thanks.

Author: steve (CA)

I think it's more probable either the replenishing rate of the aquifer has changed or your casing screen is block and the casing can't replenish as fast as it used to.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks, steve. And for any others with other ideas, please go ahead and post. I'm happy to collect ideas and then check into all. Thanks.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I think steve has given you the only 2 things it could be.

Author: WC (VA)

I guess your well tech should know -- but are others in your area having problems with well water output?

clap

Haven't heard of anyone else around us having well trouble. I'm surprised the well tech didn't mention the screen when this happened the first time. Didn't bother calling the second time since he had checked the lines and tank. I do plan to contact him and ask about this now. I did more reading and it sounds like it may not be uncommon for a well 20+ yrs old, although no one I know has had this trouble.

Thanks all for the input.

Although family has had this well 20+ years, I've been here only a couple and had no well experience prior.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hi (TX)

If you have a 500 foot well how deep inside the well is the water level.? How deep in the well is a submersible pump? If the pump is shallow in the well you don't have to pump very far to empty the well and if the Water level drops it would easily be dry. Many times a deep well we'll have the pump placed deeper in the well so that you have a large water Reserve before the pumps Dries up. The pump is shallow in the well it'll go dry pretty quickly.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.