Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Will a New Valve Cartridge Fix This Shower Problem?
Author: 120volts (CA)

I have a Price Pfister shower where the hot water is not hot anymore, just warm. Problem just started and does not effect other faucets in the house. If I replace the valve cartridge will it fix this? If not, what else could it be? Shower was only remodeled 5 years ago.

(Previously posted a couple days ago asking for help identifying the shower valve maker--and thanks to all who helped with that!).

Re: Will a New Valve Cartridge Fix This Shower Problem?
Author: packy (MA)

i might first check for debris in the hot side.
shut off water, pull cartridge out, turn water back on, put back cartridge to see if that helps..
if not then change the cartridge

Author: hj (AZ)

It might depending on which cartridge it uses.

Author: marlinman (FL)

Replacing the cartridge will take care of your problem. The 974-042 cartridge should be readily available in Ca. That is where Price Pfister is located. Their warranty number is 1-800-732-8238

Re: Will a New Valve Cartridge Fix This Shower Problem? smileys with beer
Author: 120volts (CA)

Thanks, ALL! And yes, @marliman, you were spot on with the model number for the cartridge valve. Saved me considerable time as I bought the valve before I arrived at the worksite.

It took all but seven minutes to replace and they now have hot water. Also, I wasn't aware but this particular valve has a temperature control on it. So they wanted even hotter water so I adjusted the setting since I was at it. Happy customers.

There appeared to be some whitish debris in the old valve but not to account for the lukewarm water. But I think I figured out why (in my naïve opinion). The two square gaskets on the back side were worn slightly and I'm not sure how those wear down except for age. So I guess there was crossover from cold to hot. Tell tale sign was when I turned back the water back on I got some black soot out of the tub spout (and the gaskets darkened my hand a bit when touching them).

I can't tell you how much I love this forum for the quick responses and the invaluable expertise. I am a mere jack of all trades handyman with a specialty in electrical. I've only taken on more and more plumbing jobs with all the help from this website.

Thanks again,

@120volts

Edited 2 times.

Author: vic (CA)

It's our hope that all those who have benefited from the wonderful professionals here (who have and continue to give unconditionally of their free time) to "give back" as the pros are doing here and to help others by passing it on and giving back to others such as financially giving to charities or directly helping those in need and so on. Thanks for the thanks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.