Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 need help identifying valve
Author: NP16 (OR)

The handle for this valve is stripped. Can anyone positively identify so I can try to track down new trim and mixing cartridge. Would be nice to get my vice grips back that is now acting as the handle.

[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]

Edited 2 times.

Re: need help identifying valve
Author: marlinman (FL)

Pegasus Halo F1AA4702BNV

Warranty parts for Glacier Bay and Pegasus1-877-538-0313

wow! you nailed it. I spent no less than an hour and half on the internet trying to find that.
your help is very much appreciated. Have a good day over there.

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

I would not have this valve in my home, it is a piece of crap IMHO.

Author: hj (AZ)

Now all you have to do is find someone THERE who can figure out what you need and send the correct part.

Just going to get a whole new trim package and hopefully that will come with a mixing cartridge.

@ srloren: would you try to convince the homeowner to replace the valve at this point? would require tile wall removed. Haven't looked at the back side. what is your preferred valve that you commonly install?

I'm partial to Delta R10000 because it gets the job done, is easy to install, it's low cost and gives multiple trim options.

Author: srloren (CA)

NP16, Yes I would recommend, actually insist on changing the valve out. Go with the Delta if you like that valve. Delta makes good stuff. If you had drywall on the other side of the valve wall, you would probably access to install from that side to prevent having to do tile work. I actually prefer Moen. No matter which you choose, make certain the valve is installed within the limits of the instructions. In other words follow instructions so you don't have the expense of a valve stem extension. All the best.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

I can't tell from the picture, but if you have copper coming in on hot & cold sides of valve you can replace existing valve through the existing hole. No need to remove tile or cut a hole on the back side.

Takes some patience, but it can be done. Even without burning the house down.

there's no way I would attempt to replace this valve from the front through the existing hole in tile.
If you can well then sir you are a few levels above me in plumbing!

I have replacement trim and mixing cartridge on it's way and will hopefully repair this valve if not I'll see what's on the back side and go to plan B if needed.

@ Curly: would you solder in a new valve using copper repair/slip couplings?

what techniques do you use to prevent a fire in remodel/service type repairs in close proximity to wood and other flammable materials?

Hi NP16,

Yes - I use repair couplings.

I clean the copper pipe before removing the valve. Easier to clean the pipes when they are still connected - stable. You will clean more than you need, this is just my preference.

I cut the old valve body out leaving the soldered connections on the copper pipe. I use a Milwaukee M12 sawzall with a Diablo metal cutting blade to cut out old valve.

I have several woven cloth heat shields that I will shove in the hole. Use a ice pick and or screw/nail to hold them in place if needed.

I use a Turbo Torch with acetylene fuel. I can change out the tips on this torch. I use the A2 tip which makes a small but hot flame that kinda of wraps around the pipe/fitting. Heats up quick with minimal burning down the house.

I also have Cool Gel that I can spray on the surrounding surfaces and or some times just use water. I rarely have to do this though. The heat shields and small torch tip usually works just fine.

Un-solder the old valve connections, cut copper lines as required. Usually there is enough movement in the existing copper pipes that you can get 2 maybe 3 connection in to the new valve with out using repair couplings.

I usually use the General AutoCut or Ridgid mini cutters to cut copper pipe in the wall.

This is not a fast process. It usually takes me several hours sitting on a bucket in the bath tub. But you don't have to do any tile/drywall work. Customer gets a better job and is happy.

Hope this helps.

yes that is very thorough and thoughtful response. thank you.

all who said valve was junk, repair parts non-existent, and to swap out the valve were right.

I was able to do the work from the back side and installed a new Delta valve provided by a company you can actually call and speak with and get parts.

You'll never know if you like it from the front until you try it......

smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.