Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Laundry room addition waste line
Author: nholt (TX)

Hi, I’m new to the forum and had a few questions. I’m planning a laundry room addition that will have a sink and washer / dryer. I’ve already dug up my backyard where I’m going to tie into the waste line. I think it’s probably 6” maybe 4” diameter. I’ll measure again when I get home, I’ve already dug down to it. My question is at what point is the waste line “resized” down to the 2” that will be in the laundry room wall? Also should I be concered about the waste line and cold water line coming into the foundation footing and then going straight up into the wall? I plan on either wrapping or using a sleeve on the pipes to protect them from the concrete. The hot water is coming through the ceiling from the house.

Link to drawing:

[ibb.co]

Edited 2 times.

Re: Laundry room addition waste line

Thank you for adding my drawing! Seriously thank you.

Author: packy (MA)

codes vary... mine says minimum size drain pipe thru foundation wall is 4 inch.
i doubt yours is the same ??

Thank you for the reply. I'm planning on branching off the main waste line in the yard over to the new laundry room using 4 inch pipe but once that pipe goes into the foundation and up into the wall is that the point it gets reduced down with a fitting to a two inch diameter pipe? The only plumbing going to it is the laundry room sink and washing machine. I hope my question makes since. I was concerned that a 4 inch pipe was to wide to go up into the 2x4 wall cavity. However it's probably going to be concealed under the sink cabinet so It won't be visible.

Author: packy (MA)

put a 4 inch Y and 45 just outside the foundation as a cleanout.
then when you go thru the wall you can reduce the inch to 2 inch right away.
something like this... but face the Y up with a 45 in it to bring the branch to vertical..

Author: srloren (CA)

Or you could use a fitting that allows you to snake both directions but be cautious when snaking under your slab. Use a qualified plumber that also snakes drains. FWIW.

clap

Thank you for the responses.

Edited 1 times.

So once the 4 inch pipe goes into the foundation then I can curve it up using 90 degree fitting and as it comes up out of the foundation into the laundry room then I can use a fitting to reduce it to 2 inches? Or can the 90 fitting be what reduces it? I'm not sure if they even make that. Sorry if I'm overthinking this.
Also I'm thinking I want to use a fitting for the cleanout that goes both ways in case I need to snake either direction.

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

You can use a long sweep 90 or 45 and a street 45. Two combo s put together would make a 2 way clean out. what are you doing for the vent? [www.bing.com]

Edited 1 times.

The vent is just going to be a standard vent pipe in the wall that goes up and out the roof.

I just realized something. Since my hot water is coming from the hot water heater in the house utility closet over to the laundry room through the ceiling should I just go ahead and have the cold water come over to the laundry room from the utility closet in the house the same way? My current plan was to just tie into the water line in the yard that goes to the backyard water hose spigot and branch off over to the new laundry room but I’m concerned that the new waste line and cold water going to the laundry room will be to close to each other and not not pass code. I remember reading there is a minimum distance when waste and potable lines run parallel.

Edit: After doing some googling on IPCodes I think my best bet is to have the cold water come from the house just like the hot through the ceiling over to the laundry room. I just don’t think I have enough room in my small backyard to have the required code distances between the waste line and potable cold water line coming over to the laundry room site.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.