Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Looking for wall-mountable chrome air gap or ??
Author: jblanche (WI)

Is there a wall-mount chrome (finished) air gap or air break for dishwashers?

I'm planning a new countertop, undermount sink, and wall-mounted faucet, so I want nothing on the deck.

WI Code allows conventional air gap (or air break) above the counter with food waste grinder or tailpiece connection. Right now we have a deck-mount air gap and a grinder connection.

Code also allows air gap or air break below counter, with a 15" standpipe above the trap weir.

It sounds like that's what I need to do but ... I don't like the standpipe because of hot water vapor condensing under the sink.

Otherwise, any ideas that will look good? Wall will be tiled.

Wisconsin code:
SPS 382.33
(9)
(d) Dishwashing machines. All dishwashing machines shall discharge to the sanitary drain system.
1. `Residential type.' The indirect waste piping from a residential-type dishwashing machine shall not exceed a developed length of 10 feet. The indirect waste piping from a residential-type dishwashing machine shall be installed in accordance with one of the following methods:
a. Where an air-gap or air-break is located below the countertop, the indirect waste piping from the dishwashing machine shall discharge to a standpipe. The standpipe shall be at least 1 ½ inches in diameter and shall extend at least 15 inches above the trap weir.
b. Where an air-gap or air-break is located above the countertop, the indirect waste piping from the dishwashing machine shall discharge to local waste piping. The local waste piping shall connect to the kitchen sink branch tailpiece above the trap inlet, the standpipe or to the dishwashing machine connection of a food waste grinder. When the local waste piping discharges to a standpipe, the standpipe shall be at least 1 ½ inches in diameter and shall extend at least 15 inches above the trap weir. Where a hose is used for local waste piping, the developed length shall not exceed 18 inches.

[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
I am not a plumber.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Looking for wall-mountable chrome air gap or ??
Author: hj (AZ)

An air gap under the counter, regardless of the standpipe height, will be a recipe for a flood ANY TIME the drain becomes obstructed, even to a slight extent.

Yes, another reason I'm looking for a wall-mount option.

This house had a standpipe when we moved in, although nowhere near 15". When the state started allowing a grinder connection, I took advantage of that, and simplified things under the sink.

I am not a plumber.

Author: asktom (MT)

A Johnson Tee might work for you.

OK, I see it's used in Western Washington, but I'm gonna guess it hasn't been approved for Wisconsin. And this dishwasher is 8 feet from an outside wall. And even if I could put thru an outside wall, it would probably freeze in the winter.

That same setup would be nice, if I could vent to the plumbing vent, but then I'm guessing it wouldn't be considered an air gap or air break.

I am not a plumber.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.