Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New gas line for range - finished, pics inside
Author: jcrevz (NC)

Thanks guys for your input in the thread a little ways down on the page - got the new gas line ran today. Heres some pics of the final product. Read the fuel gas code book and installed it to code. No leaks, no issues beside sore knees.

Meter before/after

Water heater before/after

Pics of Tees under crawl to appliances

New range hookup

Thanks again guys

Re: New gas line for range - finished, pics inside
Author: packy (MA)

if you tested the joints with dishwasher or laundry soap, rinse them well with plain water.something in the detergents attacks the stainless steel tubing and can cause problems in a few years..
i would have used a couple more talons to hang it but otherwise it looks very good to me..
the floor termination for the stove is perfect..
good job..
P/S, plumbing and bad knees are synonymous terms..

I ran out of talons - I thought I bought enough but came up a few short. I did use soap so I will rinse them when I correct a couple unrelated issues in the crawl. I need some better strapping for the regulator assembly on the water heater too.

I still play ice hockey goalie so yeah hips and knees have more mileage on them then most but I need some knee pads - that gravel is killer

Author: LI Guy (IN)

I've been doing some reading on CSST since I'm not familiar with that material for gas work. Looks like a big improvement over black pipe since you only have fittings at the ends of the runs, not every time the pipe changes direction. Although when we had our gas service brought in last year, the plumber used black pipe, not sure if local code requires it or he just didn't like CSST...

In your pics, I don't see any electrical bonding clamp at the meter. The first thing that pops up in a search on CSST is to be sure it's electrically bonded (grounded). Since you can't attach a bonding clamp directly to the CSST, they say to attach it to a section of hard pipe BEFORE the first section of CSST, which in your case would be at the meter. [www.csstsafety.com] [www.youtube.com]

Apparently CSST is susceptible to damage from nearby lightning strikes which could case it to leak. Grounding the system is supposed to prevent that. You should already have a bonding lead from the panel box to a cold water pipe, you should be able to just extend that over to the gas meter.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Edited 1 times.

I'd rather have black pipe tbh but I guess that is "old school" now. Same with copper water pipe

Its bonded, at the last Tee in the run. 6 ga to the electrical panel grounding block. My main panel is technically a sub panel - theres a 100a breaker outside off the meter that feeds it but it was the only way I could reasonably bond it without driving a new rod somewhere. In one of the pics you can see it

better pic of bonding clamp:

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve_g (CA)

I'm an old-school old guy too. No one will ever put a nail thru my gas pipe and I could do chin-ups on it if I were so inclined.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Jcrevz, sorry I missed that in the pics in your original post, I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware that bonding was needed. Seems contrary that flexible gas tubing is allowed for in-wall use when drywall is hung with screw guns and trim work is all done with pneumatic nailers. But I guess that's better than having elbows and joints in the walls. CSST sure works great in the crawlspace where it's out of harm's way.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

No worries, I did it “by the book” to keep it safe or in the event I sell the house and you are correct, bonding is a requirement. Its good to have feedback in case I missed something.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.