Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet Tank resting against wall
Author: Kvn Cnn (Canada)

Should a toilet tank resting firmly against a wall? My concern is condensation from the toilet tank will eventually decay the wall. There should be up to 2" from the wall which will allow for painting behind the toilet tank. Our toilet tanks sweats excessively in humid weather.

The base of our toilet is flush with the wall which causes the toilet tank to rest firmly against the wall. I suggested to the Superintendent adjusting the flange on the floor from 12" to 10". Without even trying the Superintendent said, "It doesn't make a difference".

How do I get the Superintendent in our apartment building committed to moving the toilet out from the wall.

What is your professional opinion on this matter? I've been told by the Home Depot here in Toronto, that toilet tanks should not rest against the back wall. I'm seeking a second opinion, before I approach the Superintendent again.

Thanks!

Re: Toilet Tank resting against wall
Author: packy (MA)

if you are concerned about the tank sweating, get a kit like this.
the tank will not sweat if it is lined with an "anti-condensation" kit.

Thank you. But my original question not answered is, should a toilet tank rest against a wall? A few of my neighbors their toilet tanks are 2" from the wall. Will any damage be caused to the wall resulting from the toilet tank resting firmly against the wall?

Thank you.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

No, the tank 'should not' contact the wall.

However, now that you have informed the landlord, why do you care ?

Measure from the flange bolts to the finished wall (not the baseboard).

This is the 'roughing'.

'Standard' is 12" - the installer may have 'missed' and left it 'short' to the wall.

A 12" toilet will be very tight on an 11"- roughing.

If this is the case, rather than move the flange, install a 10" toilet - they ARE made.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you for this answer. I don't know how to do this myself, but I 'care not' to have the toilet tank resting directly against the wall. I told the Superintendent that the flange on the floor needs to be changed to 10". He won't change it, for reasons beyond me. Knowing this information, I will call in a plumper and pay myself to have a new 10" rough toilet installed and have the flange changed. Ideally, I wanted a second opinion before approaching the Superintendent on a final basis. The Home Depot said exactly the same as you said, a toilet tank should not rest against the wall.

Thanks again, Mate. . .

Author: hj (AZ)

I have installed MANY toilets with the tank against the wall. It depends on WHERE the pipe is located in the floor and the toilet itself. Your pipe does NOT have to be moved to 10". All you need, if you are really concerned, is a 10" toilet, or maybe a different 12" toilet, since they are all made differently.

Author: packy (MA)

toilet tank resting against the wall does no harm..
as in zero, none and zilch...

Author: sum (FL)

you said "superintendent" does it mean you are renting the space and he is the authorized property manager? Or you actually own the space and this is a condominium or multi-unit building and the collective ownership HOA has entered into an agreement with a maintenance company who this superintendent works for?

If you are a tenant check your local landlord/tenant laws and statues most places you are not allowed to hire anyone to perform repair or improvements on the space you do not own regardless who pays the bill. The reason is there are ramifications as to the ownership and continue maintenance of such repair and improvement. If you swap out the toilet what do you do with the old toilet? Is your landlord OK with your disposing a perfectly fine toilet? What if the new toilet leaks 2 months from now? Do you call the landlord to fix a leak of a toilet you installed? What if the landlord say sure go ahead, as long as you switch back the toilet when you move out and take your toilet with you to wherever you are going?

Regardless of your final solution to this problem, there is no need to "move the flange". Another brand model may have more room in the back, or go with a toilet with a 10" rough. Toto makes toilets that allows you to couple with different rough in sizes based on a unifit adapter.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

..... Regardless of your final solution to this problem, there is no need to "move the flange". Another brand model may have more room in the back, or go with a toilet with a 10" rough. Toto makes toilets that allows you to couple with different rough in sizes based on a unifit adapter. .....

smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

If the owner/manager/super isn't worried about it, neither should you. Keep in mind that pesty tenants get their rents raised and/or reminded where the exit door is.

Edited 1 times.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Life must be great up there in Canada if this is the biggest thing they worry about....even though the toilet tank "shouldn't" rest against the wall, it is NOT doing any damage. IF the condensation causes damage down the road, it will be the landlord's responsibility to repair, not yours. If you want to paint, take off the tank lid and paint as close to the tank as you can, it will look great.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: jcrevz (NC)

I once had a toilet like this that rested against the wall. but the floor was so soft when you sat on it the toilet pulled off the wall about 1/2". fixed itself! eye rolling smileylaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh

Author: srloren (CA)

Soft floor with a toilet installed over it is a recipe for future disaster.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

He said it WAS resting against the wall, now it's in the basement.....

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: jcrevz (NC)

I've since moved - someones elses problem now. express elevator to the crawlspace - that would be quite the surprise for sure laughlaughlaugh

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.