Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Heater drain crossover issue
Author: JCGW (UT)

Hi, first time posting.

My water heater is in the basement with a drain about 3ft away. When I first shutoff the cold water supply and started draining the tank (40 gal) there was some crossover coming back into the tank. I was able to get that stopped when I opened and closed the cold water feed. After using the cold water in the upstairs bathroom the crossover started again.

I have not been able to get it stopped and the water heater will not be replaced for about a week and a half. It is still draining at a slower rate but still draining (24hrs now). There is only one single handle faucet in the house (kitchen) and the water tube to the hot water is broken, so the water is shut off there.

Any help in stopping the crossover leakage is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Water Heater drain crossover issue
Author: packy (MA)

these are readily available and if you piping has room to be cut so they will work for you, just get a couple of these.. cut the pipes above the heater and slide one on each side.
you will have to shut the main temporarily and you will need an inexpensive tube cutter.

if there is not enough room then just buy push-on valves.

Author: JCGW (UT)

Thank you for your response. I had thought of a shutoff for the hot water feed to the house but was not sure if I should do that. Your response confirmed the logic of doing that, thank you. There is already a shutoff on the cold water input feed.

A concern of mine is the copper pipe feeding hot water to the house. How do I connect a shutoff to that copper tubing once it is cut? I have no clue how to put on a connector to attach the new shutoff. Would one of the local hardware stores have the push on valves? Or would it be a plumbing only supply house?

I am worried about the amount of water going down the drain, waste, cost, possibility of a flood in the house.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if you make the cut in the copper nice and clean and square (not jagged), you simply slide the valve into place. the water can still be trickling from the pipe. just install the valve in the open position and shut it after it is firmly in place.
this video is for a fitting but the valve installation is the same
[www.youtube.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.