Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Insinkerator Disposals dissappointment
Author: srloren (CA)

Insinkerator retaining ring sucks. Changing brands. Too bad, once a great Company

Re: New Insinkerator Disposals dissappointment
Author: hj (AZ)

I didn't know they had changed the mounting ring. WHat is the problem?

You need 3 hands to insert it. 2 plumbers, not good for customers

I will have to check out what they have done to it.

Author: jcrevz (NC)

I just installed 3 pro1100's, it was a PIA but i did it by myself no problem - maybe these were old style? take a pic of the "new" ones you speak of

Author: packy (MA)

one thing i found out the hard way was NOT to stretch the split snap ring to make it easier to push up into its groove.
it does go on easier but when you snug the 3 screws it can slip out of its groove easier as well.
i wanna say that 95% of the replacement ISE's that i do, i do not change the flange because it is a PITA ..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the flanges are so well designed and built that, once installed properly, they are 'forever'

one of the best products made

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

as long as they are installed with 100% silicone not putty..

I have a tool that installs the split ring and with that it is a "snap", pun intended.

hj please post the name of that tool and where you purchased it. I purchased a tool called the Plumbers Third hand and it was lacking as to there claim of easy installation. TIA

Unfortunately, I have had it so long the identification is erased, but, someone like BPI may have it.

srloren,

assemble the drain loosely

install the snap ring

THEN

apply putty or, (as per Packy) silicone

(only 1 extra 'trip' above)

smiling smiley

quote; install the snap ring

THAT happens to be the "tricky" part of the process. Everything else is easy.

hj,

perhaps I am merely lucky, but I never had an issue

simply used a 3/16 x 8 flat screw driver and 'levered them on'

easy-peasy

grinning smiley

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

I take the new disposal sit it on top of the drain assembly the weight helps hold it down while putting the snap ring on

I like Bern's suggestion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.