Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Low pressure to irrigation after PRV and new water heater installed
Author: Vbpiper (WA)

3 days ago I had a new water heater and a pressure reduction valve installed. The PRV was installed just downstream from the irrigation system outlet. The previous water pressure (prior to installing the PRV) at the hose bib was 90 psi. It is now 60 psi when no water is running. I find now, that when I try to run the irrigation system, the pressure at the hose bib (house pressure) drops to near zero and there is insufficient water pressure to pop up the sprinklers. This is true of all the valves. The pressure also drops to zero at a hose bib installed after the backflow preventer in the irrigation system. Again, the PRV was installed downstream of the irrigation system outlet.
When I turn off the irrigation, the pressure at the the hose bib (house pressure) returns to 60.
Any ideas?

Edited 2 times.

Re: Low pressure to irrigation after PRV and new water heater installed
Author: packy (MA)

the sprinklers are on the high pressure side of the PRV ?
so they are unaffected by the PRV..
so there must be a valve partially closed or there is some debris caught somewhere ??
this would also cause a low reading on the reduced side of the PRV..

The sprinklers are indeed on the high pressure side of the PRV, and I checked the valves. All are open. The weird thing is that as soon as I turn on the sprinkler system, the house pressure drops to near zero and there is practically no pressure in the irrigation system, but as soon as I turn off the sprinklers, the pressure returns to normal (60 psi in the house, 85-90 psi in the sprinkler line (measured just downstream from the backflow preventer).

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

don't confuse pressure and volume..
you could have a 1/4 inch pipe feeding the sprinklers and with nothing turned on you will have the same 90 PSI. but if you open the sprinkler valve the pressure will drop immediately because you have no volume.
this pressure / volume scenario will occur if there is a mostly closed valve or some debris somewhere.
in effect the pipe feeding the system has been reduced to 1/4 inch size by a partially open valve or debris.

Thanks clap

Thanks for the advice! The valve at the meter had not been fully opened after work was completed. All is well now. Thank you, again!

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.