Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can a bathroom sink and shower share the same supply lines?
Author: Alsonotaplumber (GA)

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and obviously not a plumber so forgive my ignorance here. A contractor is renovating my master bathroom. Where the old shower was, a new vanity will be placed, and a new shower will go to the left of that. When I came home today, it looked as though the contractor is using the existing supply lines for what will now be the bathroom sink and is teeing them off to also run to the new space for the shower to the left. So it appears one of the bathroom sinks and the shower will share the same supply lines. Is that a legit and reasonable way to do this, rather than running new separate supplies to the new space for the shower? If I'm showering and my wife comes in to turn on the sink, will I lose all my shower water pressure or get frozen/scalded? I really appreciate any guidance you can provide here! Thank you!

Re: Can a bathroom sink and shower share the same supply lines?
Author: srloren (CA)

Not enough info to answer. If your pressure is high enough and the size of the water system ahead of the the old shower line is 3/4" or more, it may be OK. The distance from the meter should also be taken into consideration. Can you post dimensions, distance and Water Pressure?

Thank you for the quick response! The sink and shower are about 100 ft linear from the meter. There does appear to be 3/4in copper pipe in my basement leading into the standard copper lines that come out into the bathroom (those look like 1/2in lines?) As for pressure, I know I need a new PRV so it is high (how high I don't know though). But once that is installed, will it create issues here? Thank you so much!

Author: packy (MA)

if the shower has only one shower head and it is a standard water saving flow then you are fine.
even if you are in the shower and your wife turns on the sink next to it, the shower valve will compensate for volume changes.
if you have multiple shower heads and body sprays or if the shower valve is not pressure/volume compensated , you better have a talk with the contractor.

thumbs

Thank you! That's very helpful and mostly reassuring. We will have one head and one handheld with its own valve so it sounds like we might be ok. We were very clear about our requirements with him but given other things recently I am questioning his integrity and feel I need to validate anything that looks suspect. I just don't have time to find a new guy before our baby arrives so I'm hopeful I can get by with him and a little auditing.

Edited 2 times.

Re: sink etc
Author: bernabeu (SC)

'good practice' would be separate 1/2 to each fixture from the 3/4 branch/main

your prv will most likely be set for 40-50 'downstream'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.