Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water heater flue
Author: nicksab (CA)

I have a water heater in the basement that vent thru the wall into a money chimney.
However, the chimney is falling apart and needs to be removed.

Can the chimney be replaced by a B vent all the way up to the roof line? If not, what can I use for exterior flue? I am in northern california if it matters.

Thank you for your advise.

Re: water heater flue
Author: steve (CA)

B-vent it above the roof.

Author: packy (MA)

use a special wall thimble for the wall panetration and have a tee as the base of the chimney.
looks like this

Thanks Steve. I am sorry but I think my post was not too clear after I just read now.

It is a flat roof so the B vent would have to be at least 12 " above the roof. However, I was talking about replacing the masonry chimney by a full B vent. The B vent would be exposed to the outdoor and run about 20 ' vertically parallel to the exterior wall.

I guess my question is : is it ok to have a B vent chimney outside and exposed to the outdoor below roof line?

Thank you.

Nice thimble. I was planning on using one.

My question was more about the chimney itself. The masonry one is a goner.

Can I just run 20' of B vent vertically outside and exposed to the element ?

it is perfectly legal..
brace it well and as i said, use a tee at the bottom so you can clean it out if needed.
the horizontal run inside the building can be 50% of the vertical height.
use b-vent for the wall penetration along with an approved wall thimble.

Thanks packy.I was looking at the tee support which allow for a clean out cap on the bottom tee similar to one of those

Also, how much spacing should I be looking at for the bracing? every 4', 8' ...

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Nick, per the CA Plbg Code, you use the spacing the pipe manufacturer recommends(probably will be 4').

Re: water heater flue thumbs

thank you steve

Edited 1 times.

the braces are cheap so use them at 4 feet. more is better than less.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.