Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Basement Bathroom Install - DWV Advice
Author: Tru483 (IL)

I am a more advanced DIYer (sure everyone says that at some point). I grew up in the trades - father is a general contractor specializing in fire and water restorations. He isn't versed in plumbing so I've been teaching myself and have a pretty good grasp of the codes and how it all is meant to work. On to my question..

[www.dropbox.com]

In this photo, I've laid out the adapters / connectors to give an idea of what I'm doing. All the pipes currently are cast. I'm cutting off the long sweep 90 going under the foundation wall and booting that to a new 4 inch long sweep 90. Along the backside of the wall will be framed out and the toilet is going under the window. From the left side of the window to the framed wall on the far left will be the shower / drain. The laundry tub that's in the picture will be gone, obviously. The part of the floor that's cut out in front of the laundry tub will be wye'd off the main to feed the new laundry tub / washing machine drain. The existing pipes on the back wall will be gone / reran elsewhere.

Am I missing anything? The new laundry tub / washing machine drains have a vent is above the far left framed wall that is not visible in the photo, so venting that section is not a concern. I'm curious about venting the shower drain / toilet drain, for starters.

I have more to add. Another comment will be below.

Just want to say thank you in advance to any direction I'm given!

Re: New Basement Bathroom Install - DWV Advice
Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

I don’t mean to be rude but nothing you laid out is even close to being right. No drain or vent shall be smaller than 2”underground. Sanatary Tee on its side is a no no as well. I would pipe it as follows 3”x2” wye to pick up the laundry and laundry sink. Then 3”x2” wye to pick up the shower and lavatory. Then offset the 3” to where the toilet needs to be with a 3” 45. The drain for the lavatory will be the wet vent for the toilet and shower. That vent needs to be 2” the entire length

Author: packy (MA)

Plumberpalmer has it correct.. follow his layout..

"I don’t mean to be rude but nothing you laid out is even close to being right. No drain or vent shall be smaller than 2”underground. Sanitary Tee on its side is a no no as well. I would pipe it as follows 3”x2” wye to pick up the laundry and laundry sink. Then 3”x2” wye to pick up the shower and lavatory. Then offset the 3” to where the toilet needs to be with a 3” 45. The drain for the lavatory will be the wet vent for the toilet and shower. That vent needs to be 2” the entire length"

As long as I get this right before the end of the month, not worried about politeness. Nothing underground is less than 2". The main pipes along the backside of the wall is 4" to a 3" closet bend for the toilet. The shower P trap to the left side of the toilet is 2". The lavatory is coming off of the pipe leading to the framed wall and tee'ing off from there, no where near the toilet and the shower.

So I made the mistake of using wye's underground. I'm assuming it's to prevent backwash more or less. So change out the underground wyes to tee's.

How do I vent the 4 inch leading to the toilet / shower? At what point should the vent be?

What's the rules for a cleanout? Is one even required for this setup?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no

change out the underground tees to wyes

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: NP16 (OR)

If you can't draw it you can't build it.

start with a good isometric with pipe sizes labeled, fittings labeled and re-post for pros to look at.

There's a good reason the apprenticeship is almost 8,000 hours. Most people can't just jump in and rough-in a bathroom.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Many of TODAY's plumbers can't either.

PERMIT PERMIT PERMIT

At least it will be inspected, then, it can be covered by your HO Insurance.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

[www.dropbox.com]

[www.dropbox.com]

[www.dropbox.com]

reduce the 4 inch to 3.
you need to put two 3 x 2 "Y"s along the wall.
the first one will pick up the laundry sink and the washer.
the second will pick up the shower and the lav. this one will wet vent the toilet. the toilet will tie into the 4 x 3 closet bend and be the last fixture on the run. the 4 x 3 will have the 4 inch facing up. yeah, it is allowed to pipe it that way.

How about running a 4 inch off the main drain to the last run on the line before the vent (the laundry tub / washer box) and just branch off to the toilet, the lav, and the shower p-trap?

The vents will come from the 2 inch feeding from the lav and the 2 inch feeding from the laundry tub. The cleanout will be underneath the laundry tub, a direct line to the main drain at the foundation.

Edited 1 times.

you really need to make a single line drawing so we can better understand your description.
this is an example...

[www.dropbox.com]

you need to bring the laundry "Y" down to where you have the lav drawn and move the lav to a 2" Y in the shower pipe..
as it is now the shower is not vented and the laundry can't go where you want because it will syphon the toilet.
you are getting real close here..

So should I branch off the toilet directly at the main so it's on it's own "end branch?" Would this prohibit the syphoning?

[www.dropbox.com]

Or should I tie in the washer box / laundry tub into the lav along the opposite side of the wall?

[www.dropbox.com]

Only have until the 29th of this month to get this layout right lol taking a weeks vacation to complete this portion of the plumbing. Shouldn't take the whole week, hoping to get the walls framed as well. Then I can run electrical and water lines as time permits.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Roll the branch of the wye, that "A" drains into, up at least 45*, so the pipe to the sink crosses over the pipe for the laundry. Run drain and vent for sink in 2". The sink drain will be wet venting the shower and the toilet. The laundry need it's own vent and can be 1½".
[postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

[www.dropbox.com]

Something like this?

The dry vent for the shower/toilet can't be at less than 45* from horizontal until it's at least 6" above the flood level of the toilet, so you might need to run the shower drain and vent on the backside of the toilet and have the vent come up in the wall where those other pipes are. The shower will be wet venting the toilet, the lav has it's own vent as does the laundry, so you're good to go. All these vents can combine into a single 2" above the ceiling if you prefer.
[s18.postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

I actually understood everything and will be able to run this layout without a problem. The only thing I'm not clear on is what you mean by rolled?

Gah. Rules and rules and rules. I get it, but still. I've been scouring over the code check plumbing book as well plus the ultimate guide to plumbing for reference. I actually found the 45 degree vent takeoff above centerline rule in the code check book. Also looking at the vent offsets rules for maintaining 45 degree angles below the floor to maintain vertical status.

So why can't I tap into the laundry tub / washer box drain for the shower and just vent the shower? Does the shower drain have to tie into the toilet?

Toilet needs a vent. Either a dedicated dry vent or shared wet vent(shower).

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.