Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need adapter for this bathroom faucet connection
Author: 303girl (CO)

I installed a new faucet in our bathroom, and was sadly surprised to find that I had two female connections at the end of the install. I’ve bought 4 or 5 male to male connectors, and just can’t find the right one. What I know for sure is that the connection on the left (which is th water supply line) is 1/2 inch. I’m finding adapters that fit that end just fine. I’m missing on my measurement of the line that comes down from the faucet. It’s not a normal 3/8 adapter end that fits into it, nor a 1/2 adapter end. It seems likes it’s between those two, but it’s hard for me to tell. Can some help me get the supply line and the line from the faucet line connected?

Re: Need adapter for this bathroom faucet connection
Author: NP16 (OR)

replace the supply line you have now with the 1/2" FIP connection.

INSTEAD install: 3/8 compression x 3/8 male x 12" or 16" whichever is long enough.

If you can only find 3/8 comp x 3/8 comp supply line you can use a 3/8 compression coupling between the supply and the faucet's supply.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'm hesitant to ask....where did you buy this faucet?

I got it from Lowe's. It's a Kohler faucet. Seems like it was pretty standard, straight from the shelf.

Hi NP16 - I'm a pretty handy homeowner, but a total plumbing @#$%&. Can you either post a picture of the parts you're talking about, or give me a link? I'm trying to google them, and am getting vastly different looking parts. Thanks

Author: steve (CA)

When you checked for the 3/8" fit, was that a 3/8" compression or pipe size thread? That should be a 3/8" compression, so you would use an adapter like this(remove the nut). ½"MNPT x 3/8" OD compression. Readily available at box/hardware stores

Author: Paul48 (CT)

To be clear......you're showing 2 separate hoses? one fits on your faucet and one fits on your supply, but both hoses have the same size ends on both ends? if that's the case, you need 1/2"FIP x 3/8" compression

Author: packy (MA)

what is on the other end of the hose with the larger nut ?

it should unscrew from a shut off or adapter and then the kohler hose will fit right on.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Packy is correct, the house on the right coming from the new faucet looks to be a 3/8" which should fit on to the shut off valve under the sink that the 1/2" hose on the left is already attached to. You don't need separate supply lines on faucets that already come with them.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: Palm329 (VA)

...except when the built-in ones are an inch too short to reach the valves... which they invariably always are...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

then the roughing does not match the fixture placement

16 - 22 - 8

if the numbers have no meaning: STOP PLUMBING

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve_g (CA)

These come in handy every once in a while:

[www.fluidmaster.com]

16-22-8 please explain for those of us who don’t know. If I had to guess I’d guess thats drain height, supply height, and supply spacing? I’ve just had some of those built-in supply lines not reach.

yes

AFF

if specs met the hose WILL reach

(above finished floor)

Re: Need adapter for this bathroom faucet connection thumbs

My house has those horrible water supply lines that have a knob that you pull up on to shut off the water, and push down on to start up the water again. There isn’t the ability to unscrew it. BUT the great news is that the 3/8 compression x 1/2 adapter doohickey did the trick! And Lowe’s had them. I bought 4 or 5 other adapters before the info you posted, wasting at least $50. You all saved me a call to a plumber. This has been a month-long odyssey. THANK YOU!!!

Edited 1 times.

Never heard of a shut off like that but glad you got it working!

- - - - - - -

Author: Curly (CA)

I think she is talking about Accor brand angle stop.

[accortechnology.com]

A true piece of junk.

Author: packy (MA)

bernabeu, sometimes sinks are located on an outside wall facing north.
in new england that is a recipe for frozen pipes.
sometimes the sink drain runs horizontal across the given space for the rough-ins so the water must be roughed lower.
sometimes the center of the sink falls on a vertical framing supporting stud that can not be destroyed.
i do not intend to stop plumbing because the unions frown on thinking before doing...

Thanks for that link Curly!

- - - - - - -

packy,

yes, sometimes the roughing is 'off' by a few inches

however:

( this shows spread @ 4" instead of the 'universal' 8" )

else:

(perhaps today's consumers are so accustomed to 'who threw dung and run' that it makes no difference)

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times.

Packy you better put those damn pipes in the proper positions!

That's exactly what we have. I hate them.

Author: hj (AZ)

He is using "plumbing jargon".

Re: Need adapter for this bathroom faucet connection thumbs

You did not do yourself any favors by reusing those supply valves. They would have been the FIRST thing I removed and discarded. After that everything would have been easier.

So does EVERY OTHER person who has an opinion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.