Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower valve problem
Author: FloridaClay (FL)

Hello everyone,

I had a problem with a dripping shower head. When I took the valve apart, I couldn't find parts. No problem, I'll just replace the valve. The problem is, it appears all new valves have the inlets are on either side and the shower outlet on top. The problem is the current valve is almost flush against a stud so there is no room for an inlet on that side. Also, the water inlet is cast but it appears to only be one inlet, but it obviously has both hot and cold coming in. Here's an image of the valve:

What am I working with here? I can't seem to find a valve that doesn't have inlets on both sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Edited 1 times.

Re: Shower valve problem
Author: packy (MA)

some grohe valves have hot and cold on the bottom..

Author: Curly (CA)

Existing valve looks like a Pfister. If it is, parts are available and they may give them to you at no charge.

1-800-732-8238.

Post some more pictures of valve and trim (handle, plate etc.) and can confirm brand.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The hot inlet is coming thru that stud, someone drilled a hole in the stud and positioned the valve right up against it.

Curly: Thanks for the reply. The trim is chrome and gold and I think it's time for a change. Therefore, I think I'm going to upgrade anyway to brushed finish.

North Carolina Plumber: I think that may be it! I just looked really closely and it does appear to go in to the stud. Also, I can kind of see a nail plate on that stud which would be more indication that it does go through the stud. I'll have to cut the drywall on the other side of the stud to see if that is indeed correct.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

PHister does not use screws to secure its plate, and cartridge has a long threaded portion that secures the trim.

This one does not have a screw on plate either. I checked Pfister's website, it does appear to be a Pfister. I do have a question, on their website they have a video

[www.pfisterfaucets.com]

where the entire valve body internals are pulled out. On mine, it doesn't appear as though the internal valve body can be removed:

Can the entire internals be removed and replaced with a new cartridge? This is a valve from 1998 so I wonder if it's worth trying to replace the cartridge or if I should just try to replace the entire valve with another (possibly Moen) valve.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That cartridge is only being held in place by friction, if it can grasp it with a pair of needle nose wire pliers or similar it will pull out. Just put in a new cartridge and it'll be good as new. You might be able to find a replacement trim plate in the color of your liking. It sure looks like a Price Pfister to me.

Author: marlinman (FL)

The valve is Price Pfister X08 series valve. Pull the black balancing cartridge out and replace everything with Price Pfister cartridge 972-042.

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

New trims are available in most every finish. This cartridge fits every pressure balance valve going back to the 80's.

Excellent MarlinMan, right on the money! Thanks so much for contributing. If I understand you, just pull out the remaining portion of the existing valve and replace it with 974-042, correct? May I ask, will any single handle trim kit work or only specific kits?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.